Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Weekend recap into '07

I cut out of work early on Friday and was able to get some errands done. I went grocery shopping, basically to commence “Operation Slimdown.” I got lots of Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones (they’re easy for lunch) and tried to remember my old standby’s from the other times. Mainly English muffins, eggs, fake eggs, fat free cheese (do not use for a grilled cheese sandwich - it’s not real good with the melting process), etc. I had plenty of time to chill out before I went to bowling, which is a rarity for me. I had bowled like utter shit the last time I was there but I threw my $5 into the jackpot anyway. First game out of the gates was a 235. I got beat for the jackpot by my teammate, who bowled a 238. The next game I had the first three strikes, then left a split, which I picked up. I threw the next eight strikes to finish with a 277. That’s the best game I’ve ever bowled, even when I was at my prime in high school and college. I was shaking at the line as if I could bowl a 300. It was an unreal feeling. In order to shoot a 700, all I needed to do was shoot a 188, which shouldn’t really be that hard for me, considering that I haven’t missed anything all day. Well, I have this complex. When I was in high school I could NOT hit 600. It was just this incredible mental block that I couldn’t get over. I mean, I could have a series of 500 going into the third game and I’d find a way to screw it up (ok, maybe it wasn’t THAT dramatic, but you get the point). Before I go on, let me point out that I have hit 700 before, so it’s not like it would be a first for me. Anyway, I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn and I missed two ten pins in a row. I threw a strike in the 9th frame and knew I had to have the first one in the tenth to surpass 700. You guessed it… I couldn’t do it and I ended with a 184 instead of the 188 I needed. I admit, I was pissed and disappointed with myself, but it was a pretty damn good series and I’ll probably score some extra cash for it at the end of the bowling year. I think all the stress gave me a migraine as I could see these little cones in front of my eyes and subsequently got a nasty headache on top of my left eye. Excedrin Migraine is a miracle worker.

Saturday Tre and I went to the mall to use our gift cards. I got an armband for my nano and some stuff at Bath and Body Works. We then tried to find something to wear on New Year’s Eve. I found a pair of black pants and she also got a pair of pants, but she got them at the cute girl’s store, while I was relegated to Macy’s. God I can’t wait to fit into real (cute) clothes. After that I met J. at his house and we went to Chili’s for dinner with his brother and sister in law. I really like J.’s brother. He’s my age and he’s entertaining as all hell. The two of them together are pretty entertaining. The wife? Not so much. She’s a bitch and she thinks she’s much smarter than she is. She’s got a very good job that she had to go to school for so I’m not saying she’s stupid by any means. But she has that theory that anyone who didn’t go to college has no brain in her head. She actually made a comment regarding J.’s New Year’s Eve party in that no one there had a brain in their head. She then asked if I was going to the party. Unfortunately, I wasn’t, so I couldn’t make her look insanely stupid, as I would have liked to. Hell, I’m not related to her! I gave J. a lot of credit for not saying anything to her in regards to that comment. I used to feel bad about some of the things he’s said to her, but I can see she clearly deserves to be put in her place. Anyway, she and I don’t really have much in common so we basically spent dinner commiserating about our shitty service and listening to J. and his brother shoot the shit. It was still early after dinner, so I coerced J. into going to Barnes and Noble with me where I used my gift card (or its proceeds) to get three books: Cell by Stephen King, The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards and The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer. There were tons more books that are on my list but I settled on these three. I’ll start Cell tomorrow as I just finished my Christmas book on today’s lunch break. After that we went to see We Are Marshall. I know it didn’t get great reviews but I thought it was a good movie, and did a good job of honoring those that died in the Marshall plane crash. It certainly wasn’t a vanity piece for McConaughey. He did not rock the plaid pants quite like he did those skin tight puppies he sported in Dazed and Confused! Regardless, it was worth seeing, and even a bit of a tearjerker. Capped off the night with a White Hot Chocolate from Dunkin Donuts. I LOVE white chocolate, but I have to say that I’d stick with regular hot chocolate. Not that it wasn’t good, it was. It was just…. different. I can’t decide if that’s in a good or bad way.

New Year’s was ok. We went to Meadowgreens and had a pretty good time. The food was really good. I didn’t hear the band all that much and the crowd was a little older than I had anticipated, although I never once thought there were going to be a ton of young people there. Does this mean I’m getting old? Anyway, New Year’s has always been kind of anticlimactic for me. It’s basically an excuse to drink on a weekday. “YAY, it’s Monday!” I went home around 1:30 (thanks to my pregnant friend Lynn) because my friend Danny was being a douchebag. I just didn’t feel like dealing with it. For some reason he always feels the need to be mean to me when he’s shitfaced, as opposed to anyone else. I didn’t even say anything to provoke it this time. But it’s ok, cause he was drunk. That’s the excuse and for some reason that’s ok. Fuck that. If I were a bitch back to him and called him names, everyone would be mad at me for being a bitch. So instead I went home, made some cinnamon rolls and some late night phone calls, and hopped into bed.

So today is the start of the new year. I might be using this blog as my weight watchers journal so I have somewhere to write down what I eat and so I feel guilty when I fall off the wagon. Granted, I don’t know how many people read my blog, but at least then I’ll feel like I’ve let someone down besides myself! I did make it to the gym at 6:00 this morning. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and 25 minutes on the treadmill… walking for four minutes and running for one. What can I say? Baby steps! I know I can do longer, but since I’ve done nothing for so long I didn’t want to wear myself out too much. The gym was dead, which was also nice. So… when I got home from the gym I had an English muffin (2 points) with I can’t believe it’s not Butter spray on it. I washed it down with a cup of orange juice (2 points). Lunch was a Lean Cuisine Pepperoni Pizza (8 points) and there might be a snack in there somewhere later for 2 points. Tonight I’m going to make chicken helper fettucine alfredo and I can have a cup of that for six points. I think J.’s going to love all this as he’s certainly getting bigger helpings of food now that mine are smaller. I can eat up to 24 points a day and eventually my working out will allow me even more points to eat. I’ve done this a few times and I really do know what I need to do, and one of those things is the motivation to get my fat ass up in the morning and out to the gym. So far, so good.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Wow! I didn't realize how good of a bowler you are -- those scores are amazing. I wish my "bad" games were around 184. Honestly, I've never bowled that high in my life. I guess I have a goal for the new year. :)