Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Morning Roundup

I lost 2.4 pounds this past week. I expected more, as I usually lose a considerable amount of weight the first week, mainly because I’m not eating half as much as usual and I’m working out 100% more than normal. So, I was a little disappointed, but I will not let it deter me. My mother lost 7 pounds this week. She insists it’s water weight, but that puts me quite a ways behind on our bet. Hopefully she’ll peter out and I will forage ahead cause $20 is $20, no matter who it’s coming from! My cheeseburger and fries with gravy were superb though, I’ll tell you that!

When I got home last night I was thrilled to see that West Side Story was playing on Turner Classic Movies. I own it on VHS, but since the VCR has died I haven’t watched it all the way through in a very long time. Normally when I’m on the phone, I have the TV on mute. Oh no, I made two important phone calls with the strains of West Side Story in the background. For two and a half hours I didn’t change the channel, even when Tony and Maria sang “One Hand, One Heart,” which has never been my favorite song. I even found myself teary at the end, when both the Jets and Sharks come together to carry Tony’s lifeless body from the playground. No wonder it won 10 Academy Awards. I can’t believe it was made in 1961, and that Amber Tamblyn’s father played Riff. What a hottie in his day! I thought he was even cuter than Tony and I don’t even like light haired guys. What I’m trying to say is, check this gem out if you have yet to see it. I promise it’s worth it, even 46 years later.

I talked to my friend Crystal last night, and she’s officially put me in charge of finding airfare for our trip to Ireland. I’m really excited, and I even managed to find my passport so it looks like I’m really getting all my ducks in a row. I hope to find flights this week. My mom found one for $448 (without taxes) but it looks like it’ll be closer to $550. We’re only there for one weekend night so we’ll have to make it phenomenal. I’m leaving Rachael in charge of the London sojourn, if we decide to do that still. It’s the only other place in the world that I really want to go (overseas that is) so it’d really be fun to check it out!

On my way to work this morning I turned to the XM Comedy Channel and found Margaret Cho - Drunk with Power. I had just put this special on my Netflix queue yesterday, so I couldn’t believe the whole thing was on my radio. I listened to it for as long as I could and it reminded me why I think she’s so funny. I mean, she’s been around for ages (I believe this show was taped in 1996) but she still knows how to be contemporary and slightly racist without offending anyone. I might have to put her other specials on my queue too. I should see if she tours anymore.

Anna Nicole Smith has come out of seclusion with her boytoy (eww)/baby daddy (double eww)/lawyer Howard K. Stern and was whooping it up in Hollywood, Florida. She was also showing off this tattoo on her upper back. It’s supposed to be a portrait of her new daughter Dannielynn, and her deceased son Daniel. I admit, I caught an episode or seven of her show on E! and that tattoo looks NOTHING like her son. I mean, his face has been all over the news since his untimely death, you’d think the artist could have done better. As for the baby.. hell, it’s a baby. It probably looks similar.

Congratulations to my friends Tara and Tim, who just found out they’ll be giving Brady (our favorite baby/hunk of man), a baby brother! Tara is due in May, I believe, as are most of my friends! It seems no one wants to be pregnant alone, so they all do it at once. Again, so not drinking the water in this town.

Finally, if you’re a tad bored today (as I am), check out this pop culture game related to the VHI/Entertainment Weekly World Series of Pop Culture. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet so feel free to gloat over your scores. I’ll be back later regarding Cal’s announcement into the Hall.. T-minus 1 hour.

No comments: