Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Too much time on my hands...

I had more time than I anticipated, so I thought I'd get this out of the way.

It's old news, but Rodgrigo Lopez was FINALLY signed by Colorado, reuniting with his similarly named battery mate, Javy Lopez. Let's hope they're a match made in the mile high city. I doubt it, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, if you leave the O's on a low note it's almost inevitable that you'll have a career year somewhere else.... or get busted for 'roids. Either one. We got two minor league pitchers out of the deal but who really cares? We got rid of Rodrigo!

It's arbitration time and the O's have three players battling it out: Brian Roberts, Erik Bedard and Corey Patterson. Roberts asked for 4.6 million (I believe he was making just over 3 million last year) and the O's countered with 3.8 million. Not a bad offer, but if they're willing to offer Corey Patterson 4 million (he also asked for 4.6), why not B-Rob? It makes no sense, especially when they are consistently looking for outfielders that could cause Corey not to play every day. Don't screw over my boy or you'll get one crazy protest on your hands. Bedard asked for 4 million and was countered with 2.7 million. I'm not all that worried though. The O's are pretty good with the arbitration deals. The only one they have lost in recent years was with Ben McDonald, and that was quite some time ago.

No comments: