Friday, January 26, 2007

Continuation..

Yesterday turned out to be way busier than I had anticipated. As always, this has it’s ups and downs, as it will today. The up was that I didn’t realize how fast time flew by. The down was that I was doing tons of work and even more was expected of me that I didn’t get done. I came in early today, anticipating the attorney I’m working under would also… but he didn’t. That, and I was already awake at J.’s house so I figured I might as well go in early so I can get out early and run a few errands before bowling. Anyway, now that we’ve figured out my schedule, let’s get to the good stuff:

Top Chef - As I said yesterday, it’s Ilan and Marcel in the final two and while I’m not thrilled it’s them, they really put it out there on the final challenge to cement their spots. Marcel wowed the judges and finally found a use for his “mad scientist” ways. His dish was innovative, yet was also able to tap into the traditions behind Hawaiian cuisine. As much as I have never liked him through the whole season, he deserved to be in the Top 2. I might even root for him, as Ilan has just turned me off as the season went on. He started out this real nice, fun loving guy and has turned into a bitter Marcel-hater. Also, there had been a 2 month hiatus between the last episode and the finale. You’d think the chefs could have handled more of Marcel’s attitude than they did. I was shocked that Elia and Ilan tried to throw him under the bus at the Judge’s Table by insinuating that he cheated, but having no evidence of it at all. For that alone, Sam should have gone into the final 2 over Ilan. He distanced himself from the other two, but his dish was just too traditional and the judges didn’t feel he put his personal stamp on it. I think Sam will be the Chris Daughtry of Top Chef - he’s probably better off NOT winning (no.. I won’t put up ANOTHER Chris Daughtry picture… it’s not ALL about him). Ok, I know that’s not true, but it sounded good, didn’t it? To continue, Elia’s dish was the only one that anyone said something bad about. Not that it was a bad dish, it wasn’t. The word of the day was overpowering, and her use of Mediterranean spices took away from the traditionalism of the dishes she was trying to recreate. Ilan was the only one to use taro in his dish, and he did it very well, which I think pushed him over the edge. He took a risk as taro is very difficult to make well and it looks like the judges took that into consideration when making their decision. All the chefs did well and it was probably their best work so far. It will be interesting to see Marcel and Ilan go head to head, as it’s obvious how much they loathe each other. I really don’t care who wins, as Sam and Elia were my favorites, but I’d kind of like to see Marcel win just to piss off the whole world. If that happened, I’d really wish they’d have a reunion show so he could rub it in Betty’s face who, like Ilan, got more irritating as the show went on. I really hope the finale isn’t a “super sized” episode like this past week. I had fallen asleep around 11 and when I woke up J. had to convince me that they had yet to eliminate anyone. Then I sat through about 10 minutes of commercials before the show came back on. Unreal. In other Top Chef news, it seems Ilan has up and quit his job. Kind of weird to do when the finale hasn’t even been shown yet. Maybe this is another Project Runway type twist, but I guess we’ll have to wait until next week to see for sure.

Project Design will start next week after the finale of Top Chef. It’s basically an interior design show based off Project Runway. Todd Oldham, designed and once host of MTV’s House of Style, is the host. I’ll definitely be watching this show, although I might not be able to make it through the first night. I like decorating and picking out colors and such so it’s possible I might like this show even better than Top Chef, as I know nothing about and have no interest in cooking .

Grey’s Anatomy was another great episode last night. I don’t want to get into details, but there were two marriage proposals, Izzie realized what she can do with her check, and Sloan is staying (for now) even if it’s just to terrorize McDreamy and Addison. The Chief retired and everyone wants his job, but when he went to his house to give his wife the good news (they’ve been estranged for a few months) he realized there was another man in his house. This could throw a wrench in the works of his retirement, as could next week’s episode when Meredith’s mother seems to be lucid and have her memory back. Interesting and entertaining twists and turns they’ve got going on.

I haven’t had a chance to catch up on my gossip, but if I do, you will be the first to know! If not, have a great weekend. My sister and I are heading to J.’s tonight for a party which should be entertaining, if nothing else. I can feel her trying to bail on me but I think she knows I’ll kill her. Time for me to get some work done so I can get out of here on time/early. Enjoy your Friday and try to stay warm!

No comments: