Thursday, January 04, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

My motivation is at an all time low. I can’t seem to force myself to do any work today. I’ve sat here for the last hour trying to think of things to do, and not being able to start any one of them. So.. I’ve basically faked doing work. I knew there was a reason I told NO ONE I work with about this blog.

Let’s talk about Top Chef. I missed the first 7 minutes, but apparently somewhere in there Michael had to have a wisdom tooth out and his face looked HEINOUS. He had this nasty herpes looking thing on the side of his mouth and he looked kind of out of it. However, it must be great meds they put him on because he won the Quickfire Challenge, in which each chef had to make a dish sticking to a particular color. I can’t remember what his color was, but he, Cliff and Sam were the frontrunners. Cliff probably had the hardest time as he’s colorblind and got the color purple. He basically said that he’d heard eggplant was purple and worked with that. I really would like to see him and Sam in the final two. But anyway, I believe Betty, Marcel and Ilan were in the bottom three. Holy foreshadowing if that’s the case! However, Michael did NOT win immunity by winning the Quickfire Challenge. Poor guy! The guest judge is Ted Allen, food aficionado from “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” who then (along with Padma) tells them their next challenge is to create a seven course meal based on the seven deadly sins for a dinner party at Debi Mazar’s house. Everyone then picks a knife with a sin on it. Michael’s big win is that he can trade his sin (Lust) with anyone else and he chooses Marcel (Envy). It’s off to the store where it’s basically become the “We Hate Marcel” club and amazingly enough, Sam seems to be the President. Marcel hears him talking about him behind his back and confronts him about it. Sam then just starts yelling at him like a fourth grader. As perturbed as I was by this whole deal, I couldn’t help but notice that Sam is getting hotter every time I watch the show. He’s sexy when he’s angry… Anyway.. it’s then back to the ovens to start their meal, as they have three hours to prepare. There’s minimal drama. I mean.. no more than usual with this group. Betty is making three soups and really, what that has to do with sloth I’m not sure. Elia has pride and has decided to make a roast chicken with veggies. Ilan and Marcel are tackling desserts, neither of whom are pastry chefs so it’s looking pretty sketchy from the get go. Michael’s initial thought was to make a seafood dish with crabmeat implying that crabs are envious of lobsters (or something to that effect) but there’s no more crab meat so he gets relegated to the caste system of battle between trout and salmon (Chef Tom was incredibly wary of this one and made it blatantly obvious). Honestly, I vaguely remember what the others made but they’re obviously no longer central to this episode so we’ll forget about it for now. So.. at Debi Mazar’s house everyone is frantically getting their stuff together and as much of a douchebag as he is, Marcel was pretty good about helping everyone plate their food. I couldn’t believe the pettiness of the rest of the group (minus Elia) when it came time to help Marcel. Everyone basically walked outside and ignored him until he came to ask for help. Granted, he said (to the camera) that he’d rather do it himself, but it’s not like he can serve all that food on his own. He did serve most of it and even managed to spoon feed that and some chocolate to Artie Bucco’s wife on the Sopranos, shocking almost everyone in the kitchen. He only seemed slightly embarrassed about it, but more happy that he’d made an impression, regardless of what it was! Marcel’s dessert consisted of a cherry tart type thing with (of course) foam, causing Ilan to bring out his snarky side and tell him that cherries are a depressant on the libido and that Marcel should have more sex and he’d know that. Hello Pot… meet Kettle. Anyway, when Ilan brings out his dish as the last dish (a rich chocolate cake with f’d up funnel cakes and brittle) he makes the point about the cherries to the group. I thought for sure he’d sealed his fate on that one. Michael actually wins the whole challenge and is asked to send in Betty, Ilan and Marcel. The Judges discuss Ilan’s comments and he tries to play them off as good natured fun, but Marcel knows Ilan is just being a baby (he’s learned from the best, Marcel) and basically rip apart all their meals. Betty’s soups were too thick and clung to the glass; Marcel needs to let up on the foam; Ilan’s cake was too much and the funnel cakes weren’t even close to crispy. As the judges are talking they say that after 9 weeks, Betty should know what the right equipment to use in making her soup.. well.. soupier would be. That means it’s her turn to go home. I think she’d been there way longer than she should have been in the first place and I really didn’t think Marcel or Ilan would go home before her. She’s done well, but she’s not a chef to the same extent that the others are. I feel bad for Elia as she’s the only female left. I hope she continues to do well. The previews for next week’s episode looks pretty good too. Only a few more weeks before the finale and then Top Design will start!

Shew.. that went longer than I had anticipated. Here’s some quick snippets for you: Emilie de Ravin of Lost has separated from her husband of six months, Josh Janowicz. His “big” credit is Hot Priest in Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle. What could have gone wrong!? Both the OC and the Megan Mulally Show have been cancelled but at least the OC will get to air their final episodes, while Megan will end ASAP! I feel bad as I’ve heard the OC really stepped it up this year after the departure of Mischa Barton. Bet she’ll never let it go that after she left, the series got cancelled. I know I wouldn’t. As I told you earlier, there is a clip from tonight’s Office episode on Yahoo.com. Follow this link to see that clip, plus a clip of Michael coming back to the office after his vaca. Both are pretty funny and I can’t wait to see the show.

No comments: