Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And the Award goes to:

Snubs:
Dreamgirls
Brad Pitt
Sasha Baron Cohen (So they say)

Surprises:
Ryan Gosling - Best Actor for Half Nelson
Abigail Breslin - Best Supporting Actress for Little Miss Sunshine
Little Miss Sunshine - Best Picture
Leonardo DiCaprio being nominated Best Actor for Blood Diamond and not The Departed (I didn’t see Blood Diamond but he was fantastic in The Departed, so I don’t feel like anything else can be that good)
Will Smith - Best Actor - The Pursuit of Happyness

Hopefuls:
Martin Scorcese - Best Director - The Departed
Peter O’Toole - Best Actor - Venus (has been nominated seven times and has never won. He almost refused an honorary Oscar three years ago because he wanted to get one on his own).

You can view a full list of nominations here. I’m relatively content with the way things went. I mean, I have yet to see Dreamgirls so I don’t know if it has REALLY been snubbed, but the movies that were nominated all seem viable. I adored Little Miss Sunshine, but can’t believe that it’s main characters didn’t get any nominations while it’s supporting characters seemed to steal the show. Then again, they really did steal the movie so I don’t know why I would be shocked about it. I REALLY want Martin Scorcese to win Best Director and I’d love to see Mark Wahlberg win Best Supporting Actor for The Departed. Eddie Murphy, fresh off his Golden Globe win seems to be the front runner, but you never know. Dreamgirls still got 8 nominations, followed close behind by Babel with 7.

In other news:

Not real sure what the deal is on the weigh-in front. Mom and I did weigh in and it looked like I gained almost a pound. I’m a little surprised by that, but I did eat and drink a bit this weekend so I guess it was bound to happen. Then Mom steps on the scale and it says she gained 5 pounds. There is no possible way that happened! I then weighed myself a few minutes later and I had gained a half pound in that time. So, it looks like it’d be in our best interest to get a new scale, although my mom’s chiropractor told her the best judge is a regular old bathroom scale. I tried it out and it looked about the same, so I just put the same weight as last week. This might derail our bet a bit, or at least that’s the excuse I’ll use if I lose.

Tre, J. and I are going to the Siena game tonight. I LOVE college basketball, but can’t stand professional. I’m not sure what exactly it is that turns me off, but I won’t watch it on TV. Still, I’d watch any March Madness game that’s televised. I’ve always loved going to Siena games. I remember harboring a love for Jim Cantamessa, mainly because Kara Cantamessa is such a cool sounding name. (Let me point out that he was WAY cuter at Siena... not digging on the shaggy hair). Incidentally, I googled him today and it’s quite possible he actually married someone named Kara. With a K and everything! I guess I’m just a little bitter because she would have the coolest sounding name in the world, that’s all. Anyway, we have seats in the First Niagara box which is nice because it’s all the soda and water you can drink AND your own private bathroom. I’m looking forward to going out to dinner and watching a decent game, although they’re playing NJIT so I don’t know if it’ll be a good game or not. I’m assuming NJIT stands for New Jersey Institute of Technology or something to that effect, which doesn’t sound like a MAAC team, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Not much else going on. Celebrity gossip is a little light today and so is my life! I’m afraid you all will have to suffer until something interesting happens. Incidentally, you all remember the pantyhose phone call from last week, right? Well, Chris, the guy I was SURE did it, just swore to me on his daughter’s life that he didn’t, so I tend to believe him. How weird is that? Now it’s even freakier since it was a random thing and after hours. I wonder if the weird guy would have left a message had I left work on time. Something to ponder… Enjoy your night.. In other words, watch Veronica Mars instead of the State of the Union.

No comments: