Monday, March 05, 2007

Welcome to Moviefone!

My sister and I watched Sherrybaby on Friday night. It was a pretty decent movie, but one of those where you cringe because you know exactly what your lead character is going to do, even though it’s so the wrong thing! Maggie Gyllenhaal plays a woman fresh out of jail, whose main goal is to get back the daughter that has been living with her brother and sister-in-law since she went in. When she gets out, you find the sister-in-law is basically telling the daughter not to call Sherry “mommy” as she feels she’s the more capable mother. Oh yeah, and we also find out her father molests her, but that storyline doesn’t go anywhere, even when her brother sees it with his own eyes! Sherry basically bangs everyone in sight and shows her boobs (which aren’t that great) way too much, along with relapsing into a heroin addiction. Eventually she starts to make the right decisions, but you know it’s going to be a long and hard road ahead of her. It’s a good movie, but if you’re looking for a feel good flick, you’re in the wrong place! If you’ve seen Hysterical Blindness, you understand what I mean about this movie being cringe worthy. I literally can’t watch Uma Thurman be so pathetic when it comes to Justin Chambers (Karev on Grey’s Anatomy). So much so, that I usually turn it off when it gets that far. It’s the same kind of feeling you get when Sherry sees a guy. ANY guy.. you know she’ll do the wrong thing and you don’t know whether to hit her over the head or feel bad for her.

J. and I went to see The Number 23 last night and we both enjoyed it. On a high note, he didn’t figure out what was happening until the very end, so I was finally able to hold a movie over his head as he’s done to me COUNTLESS numbers of times in our relationship! Anyway, Jim Carrey plays Walter Sparrow, an animal control officer who comes in contact with a mysterious book regarding the obsessive values of the number 23. Coincidentally, I was born on 8/15, which adds up to 23 so I admit I was a little more intrigued than most. Anyway, I don’t want to give the movie away but he basically spends the movie lapsing into his own obsession over the number and why it has driven people to kill or die. Maybe you’ll see the ending coming, but I thought it was fleshed out pretty well. One guy at work said he didn’t think it was enough of a story to base a movie on, but I was never bored and was anxiously awaiting the true story behind the book and the obsession. I think it was worth seeing as it was both suspenseful and funny. I’m a fan of the non-comedic Jim Carrey so maybe I’m biased, but since he managed to throw some good one-liners in there it should be entertaining for just about everyone.

Tomorrow I should be receiving “Snakes on a Plane” from Netflix. Why? I think one day it will be a cult classic and it’ll be fun for me to force J. to watch it, since he REFUSED to see it at the movies. I mean, who doesn’t want to hear Samuel L. Jackson talk about “mother fuckin’ snakes on a mother fuckin’ plane?”

No comments: