Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Books

I read a lot. I always have, and more than likely always will. When I was about three years old, if that, I memorized the book “Milton the Early Riser.” I knew where to turn the pages, so everyone thought I could read. Sneaky little sucker, wasn’t I? Anyway, I've matured a tad since then, so my taste runs the gamut from cheesy girly lit (The Devil Wears Prada, for example) to my obsession with the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre and memoirs. Anyway, I have a plane ride to and from Ireland to contend with so I needed to find some new books to bring with me. I went through my Amazon.com wish list and it read like this:

The Night Gardener by George Pelacanos
Skylight Confessions by Alice Hoffman
Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (the more I read the description, the more I wonder why it’s on my list)
Gimp: When Life Deals You a Crappy Hand, You Can Fold or You Can Play by Mark Zupan
Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs
What is the What by Dave Eggers
Lisey’s Story by Stephen King
Best Seat in the House: A Father, A Daughter, A Journey Through Sports by Christine Brennan
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir by Bill Bryson
The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grownup by Dan Zevin
Striking Back: The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel’s Deadly Response by Aaron J. Klein
The Idiot Girls Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro

What I did pick off my list were The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (I think) and Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger. Why, you ask? Because they’re paperback! I swear, every book I tried to get that I felt was long enough for me to warrant bringing along, was hard cover. I don’t know about you, but I’m packing enough; hardcover books are extra weight I just do not need in my carryon luggage. I might still take a trip to Barnes and Noble (like I need an excuse) because I don’t know if 1,000 pages of reading will be enough for me.

If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free. I’m not real big on sweeping, period epics (a taste that also is obvious in my movie choices) but other than that, I’m game.

No comments: