Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It might be time to come out...

I am a closeted (ok.. maybe not so closeted) fan of The Hills on MTV. I DVR The Black Donnellys so I can watch The Hills. I know.. it's a sickness. Anyway, I didn’t watch the first season of Laguna Beach, but I did catch a few episodes in the second season which must explain my love for Lauren Conrad. It may also be why I find this so funny. It couldn’t happen to a more annoying person and considering those kids in Laguna like their booze, I’m really not surprised.

Last night I said I wasn’t going to, but I watched the entire episode of Dancing with the Stars and YES, I voted. I don’t know who’s going to go tonight, but I hope it’s either Leeza Gibbons or Paulina Porizkova. They were both so boring and to do a boring mambo is not a good sign! Anyway, the men performed the quick step and the women performed the mambo. Billy Ray Cyrus looked like an entirely different person. I was so surprised at how well he did, and I kind of hope he doesn’t go home, even though his score last week was one of the lowest ever. I think his daughter’s fan base will ensure his return. I think Apolo Anton Ohno has turned himself into a bit of a front runner, along with Laila Ali. Both are obviously athletic, but are able turn that into grace as well. Laila’s mambo was one of the best and Apolo probably had the quickest steps of the night. Honestly, all the guys did pretty well. Then again, I guess if I practiced something 6 hours a day for five days a week and had nothing else to do, I’d be great too! I voted for Heather Mills because 1) I feel bad for her, as I’m sure most people are shunning her due to the whole “divorcing a Beatle” thing and 2) she’s quite good! Granted, her style choices haven’t been that great so far, but the back walkover she pulled off last night was amazing. I also split my votes between Ohno, Ian Ziering, Ali and John Ratzenberger. I just like him for some reason. Tonight is the results show, 7 mintues of which will be shared with American Idol, which apparently is a huge deal. I don’t get it, but whatever.

I watched “Running with Scissors” this weekend. The movie is based on the memoir written by Augusten Burroughs and has a bevy of stars including Annette Bening, Alec Badlwin, Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow. I’m not a Paltrow fan, never have been. However, she played the spinster sister pretty convincingly. I was never quite sure if she was homicidal or just strange in that non-threatening way. Annette Bening was amazing and I’m no longer surprised why she was nominated for many awards for this role. I’ve read every single book by Burroughs and I thought the movie was a great adaptation. It was directed and conceived by Ryan Murphy of Nip/Tuck, who seemed to be the perfect candidate for this kind of material. I don’t believe the movie did real well at the box office, but if you like quirky comedies, I highly recommend it.

No comments: