Sunday, February 22, 2009

Yay! It's time for Best Actress, and the past winners there to help present the award are Sophia Loren, Shirley Maclaine, Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman and Marion Cotillard. Not a bad bunch of talent, that's for sure! A standing ovation too! The nominees for Best Actress are Anne Hathaway (who can't believe Shirley Maclaine is talking to her and commending her talent.. so cute), Kate Winslet, Melissa Leo, Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie. And the Oscar goes toKate Winslet. Good God, that whole presentation was one tear jerker moment after another! Granted, I'm a sap, but still! I love that Kate Winslet's dad's whistle penetrated the entire auditorium and I find it funny that she didn't know where he was sitting! I think I'd make it a point to find out where my parents were!

Are we not taking a break? SWEET!

Best Actor is up next, and the past winners helping to present the award are Robert De Niro (I wish he'd combed his hair), Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Adrien Brody (go to the barber with Christopher Walken) and Michael Douglas. The nominees for Best Actor are Frank Langella (as introduced by Michael Douglas, who's looking pretty good up there, I have to say!), Sean Penn (who's ALSO looking kinda hot, especially for someone I never found attractive), Richard Jenkins, Brad Pitt and Mickey Rourke. And the Oscar goes to Sean Penn for his role as Harvey Milk. I kind of wanted Mickey Rourke to win, just to cement his comeback, but I've heard Milk is a great film and I already love his acceptance speech, starting with "you commie homo-loving sons a guns," ending with a plea to support equal rights for gays! Way to go Mr. Penn... However, I don't need to hear your political beliefs.. just say thank you, and be on your way. He thanks Mickey Rourke, but not his wife, who pretty much had to grab his face to kiss him after his win. Interesting...

Finally, Stephen Spielberg is on the stage to present the award for best film (I'm so glad there have been no commercials in between these big awards, and my sleep patterns will thank the Academy as well). I also enjoyed the montage introducing the nominees, where other best pictures were spliced in with this year's nominees. The nominees are: Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, The Reader, Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And the big winner is...... Slumdog Millionaire!!!! Definitely the big winner tonight and hopefully a movie I'll be seeing in the very near future as it JUST made it to a local movie theater!

I'm sure the speech will be great, but the extra sleep will be as well. Hope you enjoyed the show (and its winners) as much as I did. Good night!

No comments: