Thursday, November 02, 2006

Quick Top Chef Recap

The people at Top Chef must have known they were losing me, so they put the show on my level. The quickfire challenge consisted of making ice cream from whatever ingredients they had. They did not really know who the judges would be but regardless, Marcel (I think that’s his name) must have been brain dead or just smoked eight pounds of pot to think someone would like bacon and avocado ice cream. The winner (again) was Cliff who made ice cream with cookie crumbles in it. It consisted of more than that, but who really cares about anything but the cookies? Considering the judges were patrons at Redondo Beach consisting of lots of kids and parents, he made the right choice. Some of the choices were pretty interesting but I think MOST would have tasted good. I would have been interested to try the Breakfast ice cream, consisting of bacon and waffles. I don’t think it was in the bottom three so it couldn’t have been too bad. Marisa (who last week we established I hate) is a pastry chef and was quite excited about this challenge. However, she was in the bottom three. Karma sure is a bitch isn’t it?

Anyway, the actual challenge is to update a childhood favorite meal. The winner will have their meal placed on the menu at TGI Fridays. I don’t know where some of these people live, but I’m not sure who had surf and turf as a childhood favorite! Perhaps that’s why it’s maker (Emily) was booted this week. Or it might have been because her food was so salty no one could eat it. She, Michael and Frank were in the bottom three. Michael made a cheesesteak sandwich with onion rings. Apparently it was too sloppy for the judges, a firehouse full of firefighters. Also, I’m pretty sure Michael was drunk for the whole thing.. If I remember correctly, he bought beer but instead of putting it back when he went over budget, he opted to put back some cheese. Yeah, and he’s STILL there. Frank made some mushroom wonderland that was just a tad too “conceptual” for the Friday’s crew. The winner of the whole shebang (much to our friend Marcel’s dismay) was Betty, whose grilled cheese sandwiches with a spiced up tomato soup were the clear cut winner. I’m with ya Betty. Nothing makes me happier than a grilled cheese sandwich and some soup (preferably potato cheese soup) on a cold, winter day. It was a teary goodbye for Emily and she also had the funniest line of the night: She was discussing how a woman told her that her ice cream didn’t have enough sugar and (after previously stating that she hates kids) she basically told the camera that maybe this woman’s fat ass didn’t need more sugar. With that attitude I sure wish they’d let her stick around.

Ya got me for one more week Top Chef… Bravo!

No comments: