Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Notice I’m not live blogging the inauguration.

To be honest, I don’t care. Ok, that’s not necessarily true. I do care who our President is and I understand that in being a minority, his inauguration is a big deal. However, that doesn’t mean I need to live stream it, listen to it, watch it or talk about it ALL DAY LONG. I literally got yelled at for not watching by one of my co-workers today because “we all need to help” and some other gobbledy gook. I’ll help (what help is it exactly that I’m supposed to do? I mean.. how is watching TV when I’m supposed to be working, helping?) when I get that economic stimulus check and when women stop getting paid less than men for the same job… Deal? Great..

We’ve been inundated with politics for the last two years. No offense, but I’ve never been that interested in it before, and this inauguration is not going to change that for me. I’ll catch the high points on the news or the Today show.

I send my heartfelt congratulations and best of luck to Barack Obama. I sure hope you live up to the thinly veiled expectations the citizens of the United States have set for you. If not, it’s gonna be a very painful fall from that pedestal!

Don’t take this the wrong way.. I really do get that this inauguration is a milestone and I hope things work out the way the rest of the world does. For my sake and his, it would be great if Barack Obama turns into the superhero that everyone expects him to be. Still doesn’t make me want to skip reading “New Moon” on my lunch break to watch it.. Chalk it up to cynicism and a lack of political interest. That, and I don't eat that early.. I voted.. Since when is more than that my civic duty?

One more thing: Why in the name of God do they do this outside during the coldest month of the year? Lots of credit to those people who stood outside for hours in the freezing cold temperatures to see a piece of history being made. You are obviously better and more politically minded people than me!

Ok, I've hopped off the soapbox. Enjoy the rest of your day and if you watched the inauguration, I do hope it was all you dreamed of and more. Let the Obama regime commence!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am at home and still I refuse to watch it!!! By the I just finished New Moon and Ineed to go out and buy eclipse. I am totally hooked!!!!