Saturday, January 31, 2009

I think that when I grow up, I want to be the guy who announces the secret ingredient on Iron Chef. I mean.. he's SO excited and probably gets paid an exorbitant amount of money to say "The secret ingredient is....." and then make some hand gestures. I mean.. I've been in musicals AND taken dance for years. I am a master of hand gestures.

Thursday night I went to Sue's house, where she made me the most amazing chicken quesadilla for dinner. It's not that it was that great, I mean.. it was just chicken and cheese (just the way I like it) but it was a much better option than the easy macaroni and cheese weight watchers recipe that I brought with me. I also got my car stuck in her driveway. Well, not really IN her driveway, more like off to the side, as I got halfway up and then slid most of the way down. Her husband was too busy at the bar to come home, so he sent his buddy (thanks Dave!) to get me out. I don't have any clue how he did it, but I don't care. When I got into the car, it felt a little.. loose, but I didn't think much of it. That is, until I got onto the I-90 and the steering column started to shake uncontrollably. I don't know anything about cars, but I'm thinking that can't be a good thing. I was going to take it to the shop on Friday, but a few people said the snow and ice in the wheel well might just need to melt, so I carpooled with my mom instead and left my car home to dry. My dad seems to think it'll be all better, and I sure hope so. I'm not getting THAT much back from my taxes to pay for new wheels or other such things.

Wednesday night, Tre and I watched a bootleg of Gran Torino that my friend (who shall remain nameless, as bootlegs are technically illegal) let us borrow. GREAT movie. I really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, after seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button we walked by the theater where Gran Torino was playing. A gaggle of gays, all men, were also walking by and one of them pointed out to the other that he'd heard it was a really funny flick. Now at this point I'd seen the previews and read about it, and it certainly didn't sound like a comedy, and I made this point to my friends and perhaps even on this blog. Well, after seeing it, I know what they mean. Clint Eastwood is basically racist and uses every opportunity he can to spout racial slurs, even to those who are being nice to him. I'm not saying it's necessarily funny to be racist, but it IS funny to hear such words come out of his mouth AND the way the other characters reacted to him. I think it's a definite must-see.

So, I'm bowling in this doubles tournament in February, and the guy who runs it asked me what my average was last year, as this is what they use to figure out handicap. I said 182, and apparently, I was wrong. I guess I had a crappy year last year, cause I only averaged 175. I started the year off slow this year, but I'm now averaging 185, which is unfortunately, 10 pins over last year's average. If you're 10 pins over, you have to use this year's average. My big plan was to bowl like crap the next few weeks to get my average down a point or two, but of course, it has backfired so far. I ended up shooting 639 last night, and had the first six strikes in the third game and should have had the 7th. I buried the ball and left a ten pin. I blame Vicki, who I bowled against. She slapped my hand and stole my mojo. After that, I basically lost it, missing an easy spare and struggling to keep the ball where I wanted it to be. I'll never bowl 300. I got halfway there and was already shaking! But, I had a great time hanging out afterwards and Tre actually drove, so I got to have a few drinks. I could have hung out longer, which is a rarity, but I guess everyone is saving themselves for Superbowl, so I just went home and went to bed.

This afternoon I watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (it was ok) and my Jillian Michaels workout DVD. Doesn't watching it count just as much as doing it? I really was watching it to see what I'd need hand weights for and if I could go without them, but it looks like they'd be helpful. Guess a trip to Wal-Mart is in order..

If THIS is fat, then sign me up! I really think it is just basically a PSA that NO ONE should wear high waisted jeans.

Explain to me again why I'm watching the Food Network, especially while on a diet. They're doing a show about breakfast. I'm a BIG fan of breakfast.. Damnit.. now I'm hungry. MMM.. pancakes..

My cousin Jimmy popped the question to his girlfriend Melody the other day, so congratulations go out to them! She's a great girl and will be a wonderful addition to the family! Prior to that, Mom and I were having some interesting conversations about weddings and such. I think it's funny how your priorities change as you get older. When I was 22 I would have had a fairy tale wedding, inviting everyone I've ever known. Now I pretty much just want to wear a tiara and have mozzarella sticks on the menu.

Enjoy your weekend and VIVA LA SUPERBOWL!!!

No comments: