Thursday, September 06, 2007

Out of my league

We started our soccer league last night. Everyone was insanely excited for some reason. My sister couldn't wipe the permagrin off her face.. it was pretty funny. The minute we get in to Afrim's, everyone hits the store and buys turf shoes. I had no intention of doing so, but they were only $30, and I'm glad I did. NO ONE wore regular sneakers! I didn't realize it was actual turf and not just hardwood floors so these shoes will come in handy, even if it's only for the eight weeks we originally signed up for. Apparently they do new leagues every eight weeks so if you really want to, you can play year round. Anyway, we size up the team we're playing against and they're pretty young. No matter, we set up anyway. 12 seconds into the game, my friend Allyson scores. We were all excited and probably looked like idiots. Now we're thinking that we've got the game in the bag. Oh, what a mistake that was. We got our asses handed to us! Every single person on our team got schooled by one of these girls! They've obviously been playing more than us and their footwork was FAR superior.

I should put it into perspective though. No one on our team has played soccer in at least 7 years, and for most of us it's been over 10. Therefore, we did pretty good all things considered. No one collapsed and everyone had fun. I think we were all surprised at how aggressive and "handsy" the other team was. It's a moms league so I expected the people to be older and less inclined to push and grab. Apparently, I thought wrong. Our team name is the Old Hags. We found it appropriate after the first game. Everyone is really looking forward to our game next week and we hope to score more than one goal. Well, two.. we scored on our own goal during a corner kick :) It was still lots of fun. At the end we were just cracking on each other and trying like hell to score another goal! We all went out for a drink afterwards and though tired, everyone expressed how much fun it was and how good it felt to be playing again. We might play again in the next session, but we'll probaby get into the correct league. (One of the women that put our team in accidentally put us into the intermediate division, hence, the ass whoopings it's more than likely we'll receive). But, we get a free t-shirt and a night out. It works for me. I earn 6 activity points for playing 40 minutes of soccer. Can't complain about that. I wasn't supposed to play last night since I'd been sick, but we really didn't have any subs so with me playing, I was able to let people come out more often, even though I was more than likely the one who really needed to be out! It really helped to clear my throat out though. I feel a ton better now that stuff is moving in there!

In Office news, Jenna Fischer and her husband have announced their separation. I'm really surprised and saddened by this. They have always come across as a very mutually appreciative and solid couple. I really hope her success on the show hasn't been a cause, but then again, how can it not be? Damn Hollywood. Maybe she and John Krasinski could hook up and we'd have our real life Pam and Jim!!! Or... maybe John Krasinski could hook up with me.. Yeah.. that'd be WAY better!

Speaking of me hooking up, I'm actually considering going back on Match.com at some point (unless anyone knows of someone to hook me up with... ya know, alleviate the pressure ;). I haven't done it in a couple of years and I really have no idea why I'm considering it but I'm not meeting people sitting home watching movies, believe it or not, so I might consider it. AFTER I lose some more weight.. :) Gotta get the skinny pictures online, of course! Speaking of losing weight, at my weigh in this week I was down 4.2 pounds, bringing my total to 8.6 pounds. I wish it were more (and I expected more) but unfortunately it comes off harder than it goes on. Who'dve thunk?

No comments: