Monday, September 17, 2007

Hot Mess

Thanks to my weekend and the Emmy's "hot mess" is an appropriate title for today's blog. Let me explain.

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:53 to the sound of pounding rain on my roof. Normally, the sound of rain on the roof puts me to sleep, however, I knew I would be spending the day outside working at a golf tournament. Therefore, rain is the last thing I wanted to hear. It was then I decided not to shower, since I was just going to get wet anyway. I put on some makeup and four layers of clothing before I refreshed my hair and was downstairs well before the 7:20 pickup time my cousin had arranged for me. As I opened the curtains, I saw a car leaving my driveway. Yep, my ride had just ditched me. I spent some time calling my cousin to see what I should do and to get some directions, as I had to drive myself to the Copake Country Club. It was still raining when I left and after a few wrong turns, I made it there in one piece. I had never worked at this tournament and my cousin wasn't there yet, so I had no idea what to do or where to go. Luckily, my initial ride was there, asking where I had been earlier that morning. Apparently someone's clock in their car was at least 10 minutes ahead, so i was in the clear. Anyway, my cousin Chrissy and I spent the day in a golf cart, selling 50/50 tickets and judging the "closest to the pin" on the 8th hole. Considering the rain and wind, it wasn't a really hard job. Only about five guys even made it onto the green on their first shot so we didn't have to do too much running in between. I had fun and there were many cute boys there, but we were SOOOO cold! People were coming up in t-shirts and shorts and laughing at us for being so cold. I mean, it's not like we were doing anything substantial so we had every right to be cold! I wore a hooded sweatshirt and kept the hood up most of the time. Thank god, because when I did take the hood off and looked at my reflection in the car window, I was appalled. I looked like (you guessed it) a hot mess, minus the hot part. From the hood my hair was everywhere and it was just terrible. I tried to fix it, but had nothing to fix it with so I had to either walk around with my hood on or looking like I'd just gotten out of a wind tunnel. I chose wind tunnel and plotted my subtle exit. Everyone was begging me to stay and hang out, but I just wasn't feeling it. I was cold from the inside out and I really just wanted to take a shower and drink some hot cocoa. I got the shower, but no cocoa.. I was REALLY exhausted so after dinner with my parents, I vegged out on the couch watching all the shows I'd DVR'd this past week (more on that later).

Sunday (even though she knew I had planned to sleep in) my mother called to see if I wanted to go shopping. We needed to get some bridal shower presents and I wanted to look for a few things myself, so we headed down to Kingston. I got a shower present and I got myself a new pair of jeans and FINALLY, new black sunglasses. I've had the same pair of sunglasses for what seems like a decade. They're scratched and I lose them all the time but much like a bad penny, they keep turning up. I hadn't been able to find a pair I liked enough to buy but there was a decent pair at New York and Company and I had a coupon, so I went for it. Anyway, I got home and spent the rest of the evening watching everything Emmy's.

I think I have a girl crush on Katherine Heigl. First, when her name was mispronounced as a presenter, she corrected "the voice." Then, when she actually won the Emmy, the first thing out of her mouth was "shit." Yes, it got bleeped, but EVERYONE knew that's what she said. It was absolutely hysterical and you could tell how shocked and excited she was over it. Her speech began with her saying that her mother said she didn't have a shot in hell of winning and that's why she didn't prepare anything. It was funny and endearing and I'm really glad she won. I was pretty happy with most of the winners, to be honest, My man, Jeremy Piven won for Best Supporting Actor, and he is yet another example of a hot mess. I don't know what happened to him or who helped him get ready, but he looked like he rolled out of bed after a three day heroin binge. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers, but he's capable of so much more. Jamie Pressly won for Best Supporting Actress for "My Name is Earl" and she looked FABULOUS just four months after having a baby... bitch. Not the prettiest dress I've ever seen, but she did look stunning in it. Am I the only one that thinks Kevin Bacon looks like either a corpse or like he's reprising his role in Hollow Man? And seriously, who does Ellen Pompeo let near her hair? I guess bad hair is a Grey's Anatomy kind of thing cause Kate Walsh was just incomprehensible. I'll be honest... no one looked completely atrocious.. I mean, I could even appreciate Vanessa Williams! However, Hayden Panettiere's dress was far from flattering (especially for an 18 year old with a body like hers) and while it pains me to say it, Jenna Fischer's wasn't that great either. Maybe she needed some extra fabric due to that broken back (and broken heart) she's been nursing. I thought Eva Longoria (who presented with the guys from Entourage) and America Ferrera looked gorgeous! I love that even though she's considered "bigger," America Ferrera doesn't shy away from color. Maybe because she's really not bigger... Hollywood just wants her to be. I was pretty happy with last night's results, but shocked that James Spader and Sally Field beat out the Sopranos for top drama acting nods. I thought it was going to be their night. And 30 Rock winning for best comedy.. Wow. Granted, I haven't had a chance to see the show, but I've heard only great things about it. I'm going to have to check it out! (NOTE: I painstakingly went through all the pictures of the red carpet and posted a picture by each person's name. However, when I checked the blog it seems every picture was the same one, so if you go to this site, you can scroll through for the ones I did not get to post a pic for. Believe me, the Kevin Bacon one is worth seeing with your own eyes. I apologize for the inconvenience).

As far as reality TV goes, CJ was booted from Top Chef! I'm so disappointed, but he totally deserved it. He served this nasty broccolini that couldn't have tasted any worse than it looked. There were others who probably deserved to go too, but I think his dish just took the cake, and not in the good way. Now we're down to Casey (who won the elimination challenge AND two round trip tickets on Continental to anywhere in the world - girlfriend really is stepping up her game), Hung, Sara, Dale and Brian. I hope I didn't forget anyone.. I'm really rooting for Dale, as my other two choices (CJ and Tre) suffered untimely eliminations at the hands of the Top Chef judges.

Last night was a waste of a Big Brother episode, simply rehashing what's happened over the season. I didn't get to see much of it as I was flipping back and forth between that and the Emmy's, but I did get to see the infamous "Dick pouring soda over Jen's head" incident. I must have missed that the first time around. The finale is Tuesday night and I'll be shocked if Daniele doesn't win.

Rescue Me went out kind of anticlimacticly. I don't know, it just felt like any regular episode as opposed to being the season finale. And once again, I was disappointed that Denis Leary didn't win the Emmy. Maybe next year. As for my other favorite FX show, Damages has been stellar as of late. Not that it wasn't before, but we're getting close to the season finale and things are really starting to come together. After they clear up this season, I'm really curious to see where that leads into the next one.

Today has been a busy day as my co-worker has a sick kid and called in. So what I'm saying is, I should really get back to work. I have to leave right on time so I can pick up the SYTYCD tickets (again, if anyone's interested in them, PLEASE leave me a comment or drop me an email). I'm then headed to my friend Sue's for a while tonight, then probably hitting Monday Night Football on my way home. I hope to NOT be out as late as I was last week, but I guess if it's a good time, such is life. Enjoy your Monday.

No comments: