Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dancing with the Stars - Week 1

Well, I'm going to try to make this a quickie. I have stuff to do but I couldnt' resist blogging about it. I had no intentions of watching the show cause no one got me excited over it.. Then I watched it.

Jennie Garth was the first to go with newcomer Derek Hough, brother of last season's winner, Julianne Hough. They tackled the cha cha and while Jenny looked uncomfortable, she did well. It'll probably just take her time getting used to the audience and the moves together. Next came Josie Maran, paired with Alec Mazo (I think.. remember.. these are all off the top of my head). Now, I'd heard Josie sucked and I was pleasantly surprised when I watched her. Don't get me wrong, she's not good. However, she wasn't as bad as I expected. I think she got kind of a harsh beat down from the judges and that, coupled with her lack of fan base, will more than likely send her home. Sabrina Bryan (Disney's Cheetah Girls) was next with a new, adorable partner. I think his name is Brian (but not really creepy, gay Brian from last year) They look really cute together and he constantly kissed her forehead.. It makes me wonder.. Regardless, they stole the show with their hip hop infused cha cha. She does have a dance/hip hop background so it's obvious she has rhythm, but she was throwing in footwork that was unreal. The judges agreed, but docked her some points for making the cha cha a little TOO hip hop. I think she's learned her lesson on that one. Marie Osmond. SHe was paired with Jonathan Roberts and they put together an elegant fox trot. Nothing special, but it looked good. She has a lot of fans, but I don't see her winning.. I mean, fox trot is one thing, but those saucy latin dances might throw her for a loop. A perfect pairing if I ever saw one is Mel B (of the Spice Girls and Eddie Murphy's baby mama) and Maksim.. I'm not even going to try to type his name, although after last season I did learn how to say it. They are both control freaks so you know their rehearsal footage will be fun to watch, much like with Laila Ali last year. They took on the cha cha and it was a good performance. She's another one that has some dance background, although she definitely tried to downgrade her ability. Regardless, she's not going home. Finally it was Jane Seymour, the oldest woman on the show. She was paired with Tony Dovolani who was completely starstruck by her. It was really cute to watch them. She did a really great, and elegant fox trot but again, I'm curious to see what will happen when she has to take on the latin dances.

On to the men... I admit, I was busy downloading songs to my ipod last night so I wasn't paying as much attention to the man, but I'll generalize for you. First up was my mom's pick, Cameron Mathison and his partner, Edita Slywinska. I love her.. if I looked like her I swear I'd never wear clothes.. EVER. She's perfect. Anyway, he has a lot of personality and a soap opera fan base so I think he's safe. He has a lot of room for improvement (as they all do) but you could tell how hard he worked and what fun he was having. Next up was professional boxer, Floyd Mayweather with my least favorite dancer EVER, Karina Smirnoff. Again, he wasn't terrible, but his moves were very bouncy and looked more hip hop than ballroom. I believe he was the lowest scoring guy, but I can't remember. Next up was Albert Reed (apparently he's a model) with his partner Anna Trebunskya (sp?). I know no one knows who the guy is, but he is really funny and entertaining and I kind of hope he stays. Plus, he's pretty damn easy on the eyes. He wasn't great, but I don't think he was the worst either. Last year's winner, Julianne Hough is paired with yet another good looking guy with rhythm, indy car driver Helio Castronieves. GRRRR... he's a hottie, and he can move his hips, that's for sure. I think they'll go far. They might not win, but they'll make a pretty good run for it. He has a lot of potential and after seeing what she did with Apolo last year, anything is possible. Oh lord, Marc Cuban and Kym Johnson. I'm sorry.. he wasn't as bad as I expected, especially for a guy who got his hip replaced recently. I laughed my ass off as he sang the song (from the Swingers soundtrack) he was dancing to the entire time. He's entertaining to say the least. Finally, Wayne Newton and Cheryl Burke. Poor Cheryl.. Wayne Newton's one hell of an entertainer, but not that great a dancer. Don't get me wrong, he's doing really well for his age and he'll probably stick around much like Jerry Springer a few seasons ago, but that doesn't make him good.

Everyone has lots of time and room to improve and I think it'll be an interesting season with no real runaway winner. I'm guessing Josie Maran will get the boot tonight, but we'll have to wait and see. I can't wait until it goes back to its regular schedule. I don't have time for this "three night event" crap.

I also DVR'd Reaper on the CW.. I've read a lot about it and it seems like an interesting premise. That, and the Devil is played by Laura Palmer's Dad on Twin Peaks (Ray Wise). Awesome!Tonight is soccer which means the DVR is working overtime. I'm taping Top Chef, ANTM, Private Practice and Tre is taping Criminal Minds. Thank god for the weekends cause that's the only time I have to watch my shows! Damn me and my busy life! We're jonesing for a win on the soccer field so everyone's pretty hyped up and excited. We're playing a team that only has 1 win and 2 losses so we're thinking we might actually have a shot, as we definitely faced the toughest teams in the league our first few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Hump 'em if you got 'em.

No comments: