Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I'm having one of those nights

1997 was a really shitty year for me. I lost my grandfather, one of my good friends from Col-Greene, my dog Odie, and my friend/godmother's son in just a matter of months. As my mother was talking about it tonight she reminded me that it was 10 years ago that this all happened. I was sitting at dinner with her just talking about it and I got tears in my eyes. I mean, I'm an emotional person but I really am surprised that I'm so affected by it still. Just talking to my mom about the day Odie was put to sleep got me all teary and my mom called me out on it. All I can remember about the day is that I was at college, waiting for my friend Amy to come back from class so we could go to lunch. She showed up with our friend Jeromy and I just started to bawl! I mean, I'd had the dog since I was 8 years old and for someone who's not a big fan of dogs, Odie was my baby.. I was sitting on a chair in the hallway, Amy was hugging me and Jeromy knelt down next to me and I petted his head for what seemed like forever. It's one of my most traumatic memories, but also one of my favorites, just for the sheer humor involved. I mean, I can only imagine what people were thinking seeing me petting Jeromy! He was a good sport.. So, I was trying to tell my mom that story and I lost it at the Plaza Diner. Well, I didn't lose it, but I had to stop telling the story or I probably would have. Ten years later and I'm that upset about losing my dog, which explains why when my mom started talking about Grandpa I couldn't even talk. I get compared to my grandfather a lot and I take that as a compliment, even though it's probably not always meant that way! Honestly, I can't even write about him for fear of getting a short circuit on my keyboard from the tears! My dad's father died when I was little, so my grandpa was really the only one I had for most of my life. I think I'm still in denial that it's been ten years and I might even be in denial that he and my grandma are gone. I like to think they're just on an extended vacation to Ireland, where my grandma always wanted to go!

Sometimes you just need a good cry and I've held it back all night, but I plan on letting go later. What can I say? Sometimes you just have to let it out! Until I can do so, I decided laughter was the best medicine for my mood. I have to thank Toine for that one.

I got sucked into Dancing with the Stars so I'll try to blog about it tomorrow.. Good night!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

How do I not remember this?? I am not disputing that it happened, rather I am just astounded at how self-involved I was & how very severely lodged up my arse my head was (some things never change)!
Gee,I underestimated Jeromy's sweetness...I hereby renounce this long-held grudge I've had against him (for spelling his name so retardedly)