Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Yep, I'm a loser


But in all honesty, I’m ok with it. Granted, it’s the 4th of July and I should probably be out partying or something, but I have to work tomorrow. The majority of my friends are teachers and no longer have to work so I get the shit end of the stick. Yeah, I know. I picked my profession and I obviously did it poorly. However, if I had been a teacher I’d probably already be in jail for hitting some little shit who got smart with me. I don’t like younger guys all that much so there’s not much of a Mary Kay Letorneau allure for me, so I’m guessing I’d be in jail for assault instead. Therefore, I spent my day watching the Project Runway marathon (Santino doing a Tim Gunn impression will never get old), doing laundry and switching purses. Oh yeah. I know you’re all wishing you were me.

The O’s got their ass kicked today, but my boyfriend Nick Markakis has really been turning it on. I think my friend Anthony (Toine) in Atlanta really did tell him that I was willing to drive down and have my way with him in the dugout tunnel because that boy sure has been on a tear!!! I’ve been reading on all these other blogs about people begging for him to go down to AAA and that he came up too soon, blah blah blah. Sure, it’s only been a few games of excellence but at least it shows the boy does have potential and he certainly deserves to be in the majors. Would he be there if he were playing for the Yanks or Red Sox? Probably not, but isn’t that why we’re Oriole fans? We love giving some Joe Schmo a shot cause he just might turn into greatness. I mean, who thought a tall, skinny drink of water like Cal Ripken could play shortshop, right? Let’s give the kid a shot and a break.

To make my night even more entertaining I’m now watching Kathy Griffin: Strong Black Woman. Ordered my tickets for her show in September and I can’t wait! I know a lot of people don’t think she’s funny but I love the fact that she skewers celebrities because if I had a stand up career, that is so what I’d do. Hell, I do that now I just don’t get paid for it! I mean, I don’t know if you’ve seen her show but I’d take her “D-list” house any day!

So, let me give you the house lowdown: I spent yesterday painting the kitchen cabinets and I also primed the upstairs bathroom. Thing is, I had to prime it in this light pink color (ok, it looks like pepto so if you come into the house understand that it’s the primer, not the actual color) because the color I chose (frosted pomegranate) is a darker, cranberry (or pomegranatey) pink and if I didn’t prime it that color it’d be really pink. Now, if you go upstairs in the house when it’s painted you’ll see a theme of pink but I didn’t want it to be Barbie Pink. More of an adult pink (although the Barbie pink was hell getting out of my hair)! Anyway, I got out of work early, went straight to the house and started painting the cabinets and then this morning I painted the wainscoating which is a HUGE pain in the ass because you have to get in all the little crevices and it was slightly slow going. I then go upstairs and start priming the two upstairs rooms (my hands are still white and I literally scrubbed myself raw) and all is well. I’m proud that I’ve accomplished so much in the little time I have and life is good. So, earlier that day, my mother, sister and I had a debate about what color appliances to get. Tre wants black but the cabinets are brown so my mom and I thought stainless steel would look nicer. We have yet to go get the appliances, so no big deal. I come downstairs after priming and my mother tells me they decided to repaint the cabinets (that I had spent forfuckingever on) in a gray color. So, the color we had originally painted then was called Yorkshire Brown, but when you put it all together on the Behr web site it looked gray and it looked really nice. So really, the Behr web site screwed my sister cause the coloring was off, but I’ve already told them I’ve done all I’m going to do in the kitchen. It’s not like I know how to use it anyway, am I right? Anyway, the floors are sanded and tomorrow I think Tre is going to paint the ceilings. I guess then we’ll do all the painting and finally, the floors. The beer, pizza and painting parties will be coming up over the next few weeks so reserve your spots now! Isn’t it nice to help your friends accomplish goals? I thought so!

Anyway, not much else going on. I have to get my dress re-altered tomorrow morning before I go to work and still have to use my lunch to go to the mall and buy a bra, headband and spanx. Shoot, that reminds me that I need to research spanx. I think I’m a little confused as to what they are and what they’re supposed to do and I really don’t have any time for that because my lunch is only an hour and I’ve only figured out one way to sneak out of the office when I’m thinking I might be a few minutes late. I’ve gotta work on that. I’m trying to find a bedspread and I found one that matches my colors perfectly (see the posted picture), but it’s printed and since my lampshade is striped I’m having some issues with having a printed bedspread. Jesus Christ I’m anal. Time for me to figure out what I’m wearing tomorrow and do some reading. I’m only about 10 pages into Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez but I’ll keep you posted when I know more. It’s pretty good so far. Happy 4th to all!!!!

PS – STILL haven’t seen The Devil Wears Prada. Not happy.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Kara-

I don't think you're a loser... I very much enjoy your blog and actually didn't go out yesterday for similar reasons as you.

As for your boy Nick, I think he'll stay with the O's (as he should) and have a solid season.

Keep up the great work!

Rob

Anonymous said...

I saw the project runway marathon too, but on a different day - is that all they show on Bravo? (besides Queer Eye, which I didn't know was still on, and Inside the Actor's Studio, of course.) Anyway, those impressions were hilarious, and I couldn't stop watching...