Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Oh Happy Day!

The man and his dog are back! I saw them yesterday morning, happy as can be on their morning walk. However, they were standing in the middle of the road, waiting to cross. Now, this is probably the busiest road in Columbia County and they’re standing in the middle of it. I understand that neither of them are getting any younger and it’s probably hard enough to cross this road, as most cars are going at a good clip of 55-70 but again, the old man just continues to make me nervous. Regardless, I’d like to welcome them back to my life and reiterate how happy I am that nothing is wrong!

Ok, no post yesterday and I apologize. I got home from my ball game (more on that in a minute) and was beat. I fell asleep almost immediately after my head hit the pillow and that hasn’t been the trend lately. I don’t know if it’s the heat or the fact that I have the smallest window in the house and therefore, the shittiest air conditioner but I’ve become accustomed to waking up at least twice during the night and praying that I instantly fall back to sleep. It doesn’t always work.

Tonight is movie night and yes, we’re going to see The Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Didn’t see the first one. I really tried but since there was no rainout last night, there was nothing I could do. I’ve actually heard this one sucks compared to the first one so maybe it’s good that I’m seeing this one first because then it won’t put a bad taste in my mouth for the third. Or maybe I’ll lose interest completely. Guess we’ll have to see. I heard the special effects are really good and I love Keira Knightley in all her emaciated glory! Ok, she’s not anorexic, just blessed with good (anorexic) genes. But seriously, I have loved her ever since Bend it Like Beckham and she graces one of my most favorite girly chicks of all time, Love Actually. What can I say? I’m a sucker for an accent. So, we’ll see how she fares in this film and if I’m not completely exhausted I’ll post a tiny review later on tonight.

New favorite song: St. Robinson in His Cadillac Dream by Counting Crows. I discovered this song on their new live album that I single handedly downloaded off Itunes. It might have one of the best lines ever in it: “I may not go to Heaven but I hope you go to Hell.” Granted, it’s probably been said a million times but I’m not sure if it’s ever been used in song. Thank you Adam Duritz, thank you. Counting Crows and the Goo Goo Dolls are coming to SPAC on August 7th so if anyone is interested in going, let me know. I rarely miss a live Counting Crows opportunity, regardless of the fact that I am irritated by the experience every time. I love singing along at concerts and Adam Duritz constantly changes the way he sings (and the words for that matter) and I know that’s part of the live experience but I just want to hear what I want to hear and sing along. Isn’t that the point? That’s why I can’t see “jam bands” like Dave Matthews because I don’t want to hear them go off for 20 minutes on a song that could have been done 17 minutes prior. I mean, they have lots of songs and if they didn’t go nuts I could hear even more of the songs I love.

O’s dropped a game to the A’s after an 87 minute rain delay last night, knocking off their three game winning streak. My cousin and her kids are down there right now so I hate to disappoint them with the loss, but I can guarantee they’re still having a great time with their upgraded seats! However, no one is going to get a Brian Roberts bobblehead until September unless they hit up the Delmarva Shore birds game. Apparently the dolls that were supposed to be given away last Saturday had skin resembling that of a Smurf. I get it, B-Rob’s not the tallest player in the pack, but a Smurf? Give the poor guy a break! Hasn’t he had enough trouble getting back to form this year and trying to lead a subpar team?

Oh shoot, I almost forgot about the ball game. Well, I struck out my first time up. Looking. I laughed all the way to the bench. The first two strikes were so bad that I couldn't believe he called the last one. Such is life. So, for some reason, the graying (not that there's anything wrong with that), middle aged (again, nothing wrong with that) shortstop came right out of the gates gunning for me. I guess when you strike out in slow pitch softball they just assume you suck. He was at first for the last out of the inning and the pitcher turned around to throw it to me at second for the last out of the inning and as this guy is running, he yelled at me. I mean, like "RAR" so I would drop the ball. What am I, 12? I caught the ball, stepped on the bag and turned to him and said "are you serious?" I mean, come on. He kind of had this defeated look on his face and murmured "no" and all I could say was "good thing." Everyone on my team said my face was absolutely priceless when this happened and I can imagine it would have been. What's really funny is that I probably have the most attitude of any of the girls on my team so I'm definitely the wrong one to screw with. I love it when they pick the wrong girl! This continues throughout the game. If a ball gets hit to me, he yells "that's trouble" and other such things. Apparently my Chuck Knoblauch reputation has preceded me. So, he's up with a girl on 1st with one out in the bottom of the 7th and is trying like hell to hit it to me cause his team was only down by 4 or so runs. He succeeds, and the ball takes a bad hop which I barehanded to get the girl out at second. He's cursing himself on first while I give him the stare down. I love that it means that much to these people that they win. I'm gonna have a beer, some dinner and go home to bed regardless of whether I win or lose. Not gonna beat myself up either way. Don't get me wrong, winning is way better, but you can't win all the time. Anyway as pathetic as it may be, it made my night to force him to go home and drown his sorrows in his Genny Cream Ale.

In other news - Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock are set to marry. I thought the party I went to this weekend had a redneck vibe but good god, this could be the biggest white trash party of the year! I guess when you’re a celebrity being apart from someone for three or four years and watching you both bang random B-listers makes you realize how important love and marriage is. Best of luck to you both but don’t make the “not getting a blood test” mistake twice, ok Pam?

Ok, enough chatting. Time to get to work. It’s hump day so enjoy it as best you can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Pirates 2 last week, and enjoyed it. Sure, the first was better, mainly because the director seemed to think that he had to go above and beyond this time to outdo the original (which results in some effects and fight scenes that go on for waaay too long and are a little preposterous). I thought Keira had more to do in the first, though, this time she's more of a side character (loved her in Bend it like Beckham and in Pride and Prejudice, though).

and you're apologizing for missing one day of blogging? wow, I miss whole weeks at a time... :)

Anonymous said...

Counting Crows/Goo Goo Dolls-----count me in!!! (SD)