Friday, June 09, 2006

I'm driving the short bus to rehab

Why are the short weeks always the longest? This week has dragged on and on and on like you wouldn’t believe! I think it’s probably because I have things to look forward to this weekend (the car, a haircut, Chris is home) and that only exacerbates (that was for you San) the situation.

It doesn’t help that I’m a tad hungover. I had every intention of going to the Moosehead last night and getting some $.35 wings and beers but “NO”, Justin didn’t want to leave the St. Charles (he also didn’t want to be mentioned in this blog - Oops) so somehow he finagled us some $.35 wings and semi-cheese fries which really did hit the spot. Add in $5 buckets of Bud Light, some Devil’s Haircut shots and Michelob Lager and you can understand why the night may have turned into a bit of a blur. I was home and in bed by 11, but when I woke up at 3:45 (for no good reason) I can’t say I was in the best of moods. Also, for anyone who doesn’t know, there’s a movie filming in Hudson. For you out of towners, when in Hudson you either stay at the St. Charles or the Warren Inn (I think they still have the hourly rate, or so I’m told). Needless to say, the Hollywood types frequent the St. Charles. So, this guy David is standing behind me and my drunk sister (who is blatantly hitting on him), and he “subtly” mentions that he works on the movie and he’s actually Bruce Dern’s assistant and that Bruce is outside on a phone call. After what can only be described as the longest phone call in history, in walks a very old man who hasn’t aged gracefully and does not look out of place in our little town… sorry Bruce, but it’s true. Granted, the man just turned 70 so I’ll cut him a little slack, but I wasn’t impressed. The problem might be that when he said Bruce Dern, I was thinking Bruce Paltrow (yes, I know he’s dead but I’m talking looks-wise) so that may be why I was a tad disappointed. I felt a little too tipsy to go introduce myself, especially since I’m not all that familiar with his work and I could have made a complete ass of myself. So, point of the story - I was in the same bar with Bruce Dern and while he was eating his dinner, my sister and I were desperately trying to get the bar owner to get the YES Network by making disparaging comments about his balls (or maybe it was someone else's balls; I'm really not sure). Guess we’ll have to wait and see if our sly ploy worked.

No rest for the weary though, as I’m sure I’ll have just enough time to throw down some food and take a shower before we start things all over again. Taking Chris out in Hudson tonight. He needs to know what he’s not missing by living in South Carolina! The day is almost done and it wasn’t quite as awful as I thought it would be, but that means Monday is going to be that much worse. I have this huge closing to do and I’m clueless. Talk about trial by fire! I consider it more like not knowing how to swim and having someone throw you in the deep end of the pool without your swimmies on. It’s not a pleasurable experience but if you work hard enough, you should get your head above water. BUT, we’re not going to think about that until Monday morning, when my new car is taking it’s virgin trip to work!

Getting close to “hair of the dog” time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRUCE DERN? Hey, I'm all for obscure celebs, as long as they are INTERESTING obscure celebs. I think the next time you tell this story you should change the celebrity Bruce to Bruce Boxleitner (sp?). Yeah I know it's not true, but what the hell. Boxleitner is MR MELISSA GILBERT, and although she's not done anything cool in a while the fact that she was in Li'l House AND she dated Rob Lowe in the 80s gives her cool points for all eternity. So-yeah- think about making that edit.
Also..this quick-to-namedrop David dude in the bar sounds like a lameass, I hope your sis didn't give him any play!!!

Anonymous said...

holy schnikeys!!
I was just checking IMDB, curious to see if I mispelled Boxleitner or not (I didn't...what the hell kind of last name IS that anyway?) and stumbled on to a fascinating bit of celeb geneology...
the dude who played Willie Oleson on Little House was (still is) Johnathan Gilbert-- adopted bro of Melissa. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT??? Ok now that I've typed it all out, it doesn't seem all that fascinating, I guess I am just astonished that I didn't know that, considering I was such a Little House junkie once upon a time. How come Sarah never got a gig on the show? Seems unfair...