Monday, June 05, 2006

I Heart Photo Day


Oh my god... Had I known what the concept of Photo Day was I would have been the first person in line on Sunday morning. So, the first 5,000 fans (so they say) were allowed to go underneath the stadium and onto the field, surrounding the warning track. The players would come by and you could ask them to take pictures with you. Holy shit! I admit, in the beginning I was simply taking pictures of guys as they walked by, but I got sick of listening to Barbara Smith from Virginia talk about the letters she's written to Trebelhorn about her high school ball playin son to everyone that walked by so I took it upon myself to save them by asking them for a picture. It started with Corey Patterson and only got better. Um.. call me a delusional fan, but Nick Markakis and Melvin Mora both touched my back and I think Todd Williams and I made out. Ok, that didn't happen, but there were arms everywhere! It was an awesome experience that could only have been eclipsed if Brian Roberts had made it around to centerfield. Obviously, any woman in her right mind wants a picture with him so, he didn't get very far. Next year I might camp out Saturday night so i can get as close to the dugout as possible.

Ok, weekend in Baltimore. I've gotta tell you. It's insanely disconcerting to be an Oriole fan in Baltimore when the Yankees are in town. I was SURROUNDED and I heard more "Let's Go Yankees" chants than anything else. I think next year I'm gonna hit up one of those Tampa Bay series! I mean, I go there to not feel like the outsider and so i can yell "O" during the national anthem. I admit, both games were great, even though the O's couldn't bring it home on saturday. Course, Sunday was way better and nothing shuts up those obnoxious drunk Yankee fans like an ass whooping. If only it happened more often :) I also have to say, there is nothing more entertaining than listening to grown men shout another man's name and have it be completely heterosexual, and even somewhat masculine. Only Yankee fans. As I said, the games were great, definitely entertaining for me (not so much for my mother and sister who would have left early on Sunday if I had let them) and Photo Day was beyond my expectations. I mean, I almost didn't go but I figured since we were in town for it, there was no good reason not to go! Good call on that one.

The weekend was a good one and I'm certainly enjoying being home before 6:30 for once during the week! I'm actually trying to catch up on watching those movies I rented and didn't watch on Friday night. Got through Just Like Heaven - cute... unbelievable, but cute. I've got Match Point on now.. I'll keep ya posted. I'm sure I'll give a good review. I dig men with accents :)

More great news - Matthew McConaughey and Penelope Cruz broke up. Ok, so not such great news for them, but I know I'm not complaining. Let the naked bongo playing commence!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there chickpea...so glad to hear how BLISSFUL your weekend was! Of course you know how sports-tarded I am so I am not going to even ATTEMPT to contribute to any baseball banter that might be brewing here. Instead I am going to (in my longwinded, super-unabridged way) extrapolate on the Matthew McConaughey part of your post. (quick aside--I love that I used "extrapolate" in a sentence just now. Even though I'm only about 85% sure I used it correctly..I am still pleased) Anyways I did all the music for my parents surprise 40th anniv. soiree because a) that was the cheap way to do things and b) on one of my many facets I am a wannabe DJ. And I'm not talking DJ Skribble style DJ, really more of a DJ Johnny Fever broadcasting on WKRP outta Cincinnati. Anyhow, one of my mixes were all songs from 1966 (the year Mom & Dad got hitched) and because I picked only 1966's bestest and it is a terrif mix I've been listening to it a lot and it occurred to me (relevance is imminent) that on Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs' "Little Red Riding Hood" (waaay cooler than their more popular "Wooly Bully", BTW) it sounds just like Matthew McConaughey singing. Just EXACTLY like him (esp. at the beginning) So now that Ms Cruz has released him into the wild, if it is ever my good fortune to "ketch 'im" (and I SHALL set out traps) that will be one of numerous favors I demand of him. Y'know to definitively test my hypothesis.. "Serenade me with 'Little Red Riding Hood' my darling" Of course I MUST have the Naked Bongos Remix...