Friday, December 12, 2008

What a night! I wasn't really worried about anything until my Mom called and "suggested" that I not sleep in my own room becuase there was a good chance branches could fall down and my room has LOTS of trees surrounding it. So then I got nervous. Around 11:30 I had settled on the couch and then I started to hear what sounded like gunshots, but it was branches cracking all around the house. I have to say, it was one of the scariest things ever. Tre and I kept trying to find the safest place in the house, which turned out to be the pool room. Luckily, I was smart enough to scarf up the papasan chair so I was a little more comfortable than Tre was! She got over her fear and went into her bed shortly before 3 and I think I went in shortly after. Yep.. we slept in her bed because not only did we lose power, but we lost heat. This morning it was 58 degrees in our house and I couldn't exactly feel my fingers. So not good! We had to get our basement pumped out by the fire department, so we then had no hot water as our hot water heater was flooded (or some other technical thing). Our power went on at 11:30 this morning and luckily, the house didn't take too long to heat up. The hot water has now also been fixed, so we're basically back to normal, which is more than I can say for most people who have heard they might not have power back for up to three days. I've come to the realization that I am WAY too high maintenance to not have power.

Here are a few pictures of the carnage:
This first one is the pine tree in our back yard, taken from my bathroom window. Those are ALL branches underneath the tree.

This one was taken on the side of our house, and I'm pretty sure it's the big bang I heard just before the power went out. This is the tree outside my parent's house, in the neighbor's backyard. Looks like lightning hit it, not ice!This is the tree that fell on my parent's neighbor's car and into her back yard.

No comments: