Sunday, December 14, 2008

I guess I'm going to have to start going to the movies a little more. With the totally active social life I've got going on at the moment, I don't think it'll be a problem. Here's my take on the Golden Globe nominees:

Best Picture, Drama: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon," "The Reader," "Revolutionary Road" and "Slumdog Millionaire." I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Benjamin Button and Revolutionary Road. I've heard great things about Slumdog Millionaire and The Reader too, so obviously I have to reserve my vote on this one until I see at least one of the films!

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy: "Burn After Reading," "Happy-Go-Lucky," "In Bruges," "Mamma Mia!" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona." The only one of these movies I've seen is Mamma Mia, but I REALLY want to see all of them excpet Happy-Go-Lucky, which I haven't even heard of.

Director: Danny Boyle ("Slumdog Millionaire"), Stephen Daldry ("The Reader"), David Fincher ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), Ron Howard ("Frost/Nixon") and Sam Mendes ("Revolutionary Road"). OK.. the more I try to do this post, the more I realize I kinda can't touch the movies, cause I haven't seen any of them. Instead, I'll tell you who I'd be ok with winning. In this category I'd have to go with Sam Mendes. Why the hell not?

Actor in a drama: Leonardo DiCaprio ("Revolutionary Road"), Frank Langella ("Frost/Nixon"), Sean Penn ("Milk"), Brad Pitt ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") and Mickey Rourke ("The Wrestler"). I think this one is too tough to call. I mean.. Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio almost cancel each other out as far as matinee idol type of guys, although Brad's never won for a lead role, so this could be his shot. However, he's got some tough competition in Sean Penn's portrayal of Harvey Milk and Frank Langella as Richard Nixon (award shows LOVE it when you play a real person). Mickey Rourke is a long shot, but a kind of sentimental favorite and it'd be interesting to see him upset them all.

Actress in a drama: Anne Hathaway ("Rachel Getting Married"), Angelina Jolie ("Changeling"), Meryl Streep ("Doubt"), Kristin Scott Thomas ("I've Loved You Too Long") and Kate Winslet ("Revolutionary Road"). I haven't been able to see it yet, but I'm really rooting for Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married." She's had a tough year and has gotten a lot of acclaim for this role. I also have yet to see Changeling, but we all know how much I still love my Angie..

Actor in a comedy or musical: Javier Bardem ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Colin Farrell ("In Bruges"), James Franco ("Pineapple Express"), Brendan Gleeson ("In Bruges") and Dustin Hoffman ("Last Chance Harvey"). I doubt it'll go to a stoner, but James Franco was hysterical in Pineapple Express and since Huey didn't get a nod for his contribution to the soundtrack, I'll have to give it to Franco!

Actress in a comedy or musical: Rebecca Hall ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Sally Hawkins ("Happy-Go-Lucky"), Frances McDormand ("Burn After Reading"), Meryl Streep ("Mamma Mia!") and Emma Thompson ("Last Chance Harvey"). I'm kind of indifferent to this one.

Supporting actor: Tom Cruise ("Tropic Thunder"), Robert Downey Jr. ("Tropic Thunder"), Ralph Fiennes ("The Duchess"), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Doubt") and Heath Ledger ("The Dark Knight"). I'm sure it'll go to Heath Ledger (the Globes are usually sentimental like that and he does deserve it), but if Tom Cruise upsets Robert Downey Jr., I'll be shocked. He was funny, but not award show worthy!!

Supporting actress: Amy Adams ("Doubt"), Penelope Cruz ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Viola Davis ("Doubt"), Marisa Tomei ("The Wrestler") and Kate Winslet ("The Reader").
There I go again with the indifference!

Best Television Series, Drama - Dexter (Showtime), House (Fox), In Treatment (HBO) MNad Men (AMC) and True Blood (HBO) I'm ok with either Mad Men or True Blood. Both are really great shows and maybe by the time the Globes come around, I'll know how True Blood's season ended.. MAYBE

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Drama - Sally Field (Brothers and Sisters), Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU), January Jones (Mad Men), Anna Paquin (True Blood), Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) I will always love my Olivia Benson, but I'd like to see Anna Paquin take it home.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Drama - Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment), Michael C. Hall (Dexter) Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Hugh Laurie (House), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors). I have to give it to Jon Hamm, mainly because I don't watch any of these shows on a regular basis.

Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical - 30 Rock (NBC), Californication (Showtime) Entourage (HBO), The Office (NBC), Weeds (Showtime). 30 Rock is an awards show darling, but I have to stick by The Office, as always!

Best Performance by an Actress in a Comedy or Musical Series - Christina Applegate (Samanatha Who?), America Ferrera (Ugly Betty), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Debra Messing (The Starter Wife), Mary Louise Parker (Weeds). I'm pretty impartial to this one as well, mainly because I kinda like them all!

Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy or Musical Series – Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Steve Carell (The Office), Kevin Connolly (Entourage), David Duchovny (Californication), Tony Shalhoub (Monk). Alec Baldwin will more than likely win, but I still love Steve Carell as Michael Scott.

And finally, my two least favorite categories, as I don't think it's fair to include actors/actresses in miniseries in this category:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television - Eileen Atkins (Cranford), Laura Dern (Recount), Melissa George (In Treatment), Rachel Griffiths (Brothers and Sisters), Dianne Wiest (In Treatment). Nothing I watch.. indifferent.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television - Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother), Denis Leary (Recount), Jeremy Piven (Entourage), Blair Underwood (In Treatment), Tom Wilkinson (John Adams). Have you met me? I'm rooting for the Piv all the way!

No comments: