Tuesday, December 30, 2008

This is a comment I got regarding last night's blog post about the Wu-Tang concert:

Hi.I'm one of those crappy "opening" acts from the Wu show. I'm not here to disagree with you, if you think we're crappy, that's your opinion, and I'm fine with it.After attending at least as many shows as I've performed, I've found that there is a place for openers. We're there to loosen up the crowd, and is usually a necessary evil, even for people as big as WU.My friends and I have worked extremely hard to get where we are, so imagine all the even crappier groups that didn't make the cut.It's difficult to perform in front of almost 2,000 people, most of whom don't want to see you at all. Again, not trying to change your opinion. Just bored and looking for reviews of the show. I hope you continue to enjoy live music, and that maybe I've shed a little light that will help you give a chance to future opening acts you may encounter.Happy holidays.-Local Opener

I feel like I should... respond. I did say there were crappy local acts, but I guess that's not exactly how I should have put it. There actually were a few acts my friends and I enjoyed, but considering we had to sit through a million of them to get to what we wanted to see, I wasn't real excited about it (I might have been the only person there who had to work the next day, so waiting till 10:30 for Wu-Tang to come on was not a high point for me). The one thing we continued to say was that it must really suck to be these guys.. just trying to get their music heard, and people being so... well.. some were downright rude and threw stuff at the stage, which was totally uncalled for! I can't imagine going to work and having someone yell "you suck" at me throughout the day. So, I want to take this time to apologize to the local opener who commented on the blog, and all the others who opened. Maybe I thought you sucked, and maybe I didn't, but regardless, I did feel bad for the situation you were in and I appreciate the response being so... mature and articulate. Geez.. I'm totally hitting into stereotypes right now, right? You're right kids.. I expected to get F bombs dropped on me for saying what I said, and I didn't, so I'm happy about that.. However.. since prertty much all the songs I heard dropped them, you can imagine my surprise!

So... support your local acts in 2009!!!

PS - as I reread last night's post I realized that I did say I'm sure the acts weren't bad.. I just wasn't really into hearing them.. so I guess I don't feel as bad as I did 10 minutes ago, but still.. crappy might have been... a bit much... ;)

No comments: