Monday, December 29, 2008

Today was a tough day. The week between Christmas and New Year's should just be vacation for everyone. It's such a waste. I swear, I walked into the bathroom at work today and was like "oh god.. I look like I got rode hard and put away wet." I really did. Terrible hair, pale face and ridiculous dehydration. I blame the Wu-Tang..

Yep.. last night was the Wu-Tang Clan concert at Northern Lights. I tried to take some pictures, but for the majority of the concert I was behind the tallest guy in the room, so the pictures are pretty much blurry lights. We got there just before 8:00 and sat through a PLETHORA of crappy local rap acts and then JAMZ 96.3 DJ Big Ray. I don't know for sure what exactly he was doing.. He basically had a DJ play old school hip hop songs and he danced... Which would have been fine, had he done it for like.. five minutes. And I'm sure those rap acts weren't that bad either, but after sitting through about 15 of them and hearing "you ready for the Wu?" as many times, seeing another Eminem wannabe get on stage was about as bearable as wisdom teeth extraction minus the drugs. Not to mention, the insane amounts of weed being smoked EVERYWHERE (um.. hello security.. how hard can it be to find the smokers? I mean.. they're the people with the cloud coming out of their mouth!) It wasn't even really the weed that bothered me, it was the people who thought that gave them free reign to smoke cigarettes as well! Wu-Tang FINALLY came on at 10:30... 2 and a half hours after the concert was supposed to start.. They were worth the wait though.. They sound exactly like they do on the CD's and while I admit, I really knew very few songs, the energy was crazy! It was a fun experience, but not one I plan to repeat anytime soon. I am friends with people who I don't want to get as close to as I did to people last night. I got stepped on, pushed, poked and almost burnt. My neck hurts from craning it to see who Tara says is "my man... Cappa Donna," and my calves are sore from standing in one place for four hours. Good times... :)

In case you're one of those people who have little to do New Year's Eve/New Year's Day and the following weekend, this list might help you out. I really would like to see all the episodes of Ashley Paige: Bikini or Bust. Seriously, it's a good show... that I could never seem to find after I saw like.. two episodes!

Zooey Deschanel is getting married.. but no one's 100% sure if Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen are.. And oh yeah.. apparently the rumor is that J. Lo and Marc Anthony are going to announce their divorce on or around Valentine's Day after they bid their marriage farewell with a duet at his concert. Is that not the craziest thing you've ever heard... and kinda SOOOO crazy it could be true? I hope not though.. Twins need two parents... we're tough to take ;)

Bristol Palin (my sister's Halloween costume) had her first illegitimate child, named Tripp. Am I crazy, or isn't one of her brothers named Tripp? I mean.. I don't claim to follow politics, but it sounds familiar!

Soccer is tomorrow night due to New Year's, and it's our last game of the session. We've got gals dropping like flies, but we should have enough to play tomorrow night. We were missing a few key players the last time we played this team, so it'd be nice if we could pull out the season with a win. However, if I remember correctly their passing skills were far above ours, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, we'll come out with a winning record, so that's a good thing! If anyone has some free time and wants to cheer us on, the game starts at 8!

Anyone know anything about bluetooth? I really want to get one, but I know nothing about them. I saw one on the Sprint site for relatively cheap, so I guess I just want to be sure I'm getting the right thing. However, I loathe going into the Sprint store at the mall and since everyone and their mother got new phones for Christmas, I figure I'll have to wait for quite some time.. Something I don't exactly have a lot of on my lunch break.

Pretty busy next couple of days so I need to get a move on and pack my stuff for New Year's.... get the missing sleep I've lost... and check out crunchless abs online. Only $9.99? How can I go wrong!? I'll tell you.. after looking at the site and putting in my order for the complete crunchless abs kit, they tell you that every other month they're going to send you a new video for the low low price of $19.99. You can cancel at any time by calling their customer service hotline, but I can guarantee I'd forget and then be royally pissed when I get another video that I PROBABLY don't want. The jury is still out..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I'm one of those crappy "opening" acts from the Wu show. I'm not here to disagree with you, if you think we're crappy, that's your opinion, and I'm fine with it.

After attending at least as many shows as I've performed, I've found that there is a place for openers. We're there to loosen up the crowd, and is usually a necessary evil, even for people as big as WU.

My friends and I have worked extremely hard to get where we are, so imagine all the even crappier groups that didn't make the cut.

It's difficult to perform in front of almost 2,000 people, most of whom don't want to see you at all. Again, not trying to change your opinion. Just bored and looking for reviews of the show. I hope you continue to enjoy live music, and that maybe I've shed a little light that will help you give a chance to future opening acts you may encounter.

Happy holidays.

-Local Opener

Sandra said...

Hey local opener, your facetious quotation marks should be around "crappy" and NOT "opening". It should enclose the modifier of contention, and not one that is factual. This sort of thing--in print-- really won't trip you up except with grammar snobs like me. But if you have timing problems with your air quotes in a conversational situation, that can really hinder you socially, vis a vis your handling of wit and/or sarcasm.

On the other hand, I was waiting for some belligerent backlash outta you, and it never came. Bravo. I find that damned commendable!!

I had intended to make snarky comment about Zooey Deschanel's choice of fiance, but you totally diverted me.
Happy Holidays to you!!