Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Never enough hours in the day

I thought I was going to have lots of time this weekend, but it turned into quite the opposite. My bowling meeting on Friday night lasted five minutes, yet I was there for two and a half hours. What can I say? I haven't seen the majority of the people all summer so there were beers to be had and catching up to do. Once I got home I made some good Weight Watchers snacks and hit the hay by 11, as I had a game at 10 am. I left the house by 9 the next morning and didn't make it back home until about 8:00 pm. It was EXCRUCIATINGLY hot out and after winning our first game 18-0, we had to hang out to play at 4 pm. The best move we made was to go to Jackson's for lunch, where I had an awesome grilled chicken sandwich. It was so hot that no one even dared have a beer. It was water all around. We won our 4:00 game by the 15 run rule ( I dont' remember the exact score) but it was tough on everyone thanks to the weather. I'm pretty darn sure I had heat stroke. I only started feeling like a normal person again on Monday. My face was bright red and I really couldn't regulate my body temperature. Luckily I got replaced as catcher and put into right field where there was a nice breeze, at least nicer than what I was getting behind the plate which was basically beat the fuck up. One ball came out to me but my cousin called it so I let her have it. Unfortunately, she didn't really have it so I cracked on her all day for being a ball hog and making me look like a retard. She felt bad. When I got home I made some microwave popcorn (it was all the patience I had) and crashed by 9:30. Yep... 9:30. My cousin Lindsey called me at 10 of 10 and woke me up, as did J at 3:00 (he was at a bachelor party in NYC). Neither of those calls kept me awake like they normally would, and I crashed out pretty hard till 8 am. Our game was at noon and we beat that team by a pretty hefty margin also. The game we had to play at 2:00 was against a team we'd gotten beat by a few times, but we staged a late inning rally and pulled it out. We came out of the loser bracket so we would have to beat the final team twice in order to win. However, they hadn't played since 10 am so they were pretty fresh and we are all old and were pretty beat! We put up a good fight, but it wasn't enough. I was grateful to be extra hitting in the final game. My legs felt like jelly and I don't know if I could have crouched for another hour and a half! Anyway, it's the farthest we've made it so far in the league and I think we were all impressed we came back from where we were to come in second. I just would have really liked to beat the team we lost to. They're all very young and have attitude like they deserve to win. Kind of irritating. What's really funny is that they seem to really care if they win or not. We, on the other hand, are basically there to have a good time. Winning is just a perk!

However, the weekend wasn't all fun and games. On Friday morning I found out that my boss had a miscarriage while on vacation. She was four months along. It was (and is) pretty devastating as she and her husband went through in vitro fertilization to get pregnant. She stopped by today and seems to be doing better, but I really just can't fathom what that must be like to go through, nor do I want to know. So, she hasn't been in this week and will only be in sporadically for the balance of the week. My co-worker and I sent her flowers and we've been trying to hold down the fort. It's just so hard! I had no idea what to say to her and her husband. I tried to say I was sorry, but it just wouldn't come out of my mouth. I couldn't form the words.

My mom has been on my case about relaxing, since I've been a bit busy of late, so last night I finally did it. I watched Entourage on my DVR, made some great toasted ravioli for dinner and downloaded songs for my Ipod. I really wish I had paid more attention to the songs when So You Think You Can Dance was on because Fox actually lists the songs used on the show on their web site. I did download a few but I know there were more I liked that I just couldn't think of.

Rumor has it that Owen Wilson tried to commit suicide. Interesting.. Just from the way it's being spun in the media and his statement, I'd believe it, but that doesn't make it any less of a sad situation. I just have an issue with it. I know people who have committed suicide for whatever reason and I just feel like it's so selfish! Don't get me wrong, I know that many people that commit suicide have mental health problems that lead to them doing it and whiel I don't necessarily condone the behavior, I understand how difficult it must be to face. However,
for those that don't have that reasoning, I feel like they can't think of anyone but themselves and how it affects them, not the other people in their life. Ok.. off my soapbox.. Best of luck to Owen and I hope he gets well and doesn't see those tabloid pics of Kate Hudson sucking face with Dax Shepard in the grocery store. Seriously... Dax Shepard? I mean.. after Chris Robinson we've proved the girl has no taste, but at least Chris Robinson was talented. Employee of the Month? At least she could have gone for Dane Cook if she had to pick someone from that movie... I'd much rather see him using his shirt as a shield..

Speaking of shirts... as we all know, I professed my strange love for Denis Leary on this blog. I'd like to modify my love to when he's fully clothed. The man looks great in some boot cut jeans and a turtleneck (and I LOATHE turtlenecks on men) but when he took his shirt off during Wednesday night's episode I was just... not... happy. Let Franco take his shirt off.. or Probie... Hell, even Sean! But Denis.. stick to comedy and not beefcake.. that's what the others are there for. I mean.. you're Conan O'Brien's cousin.. it's pretty obvious that comedy is your thing.. not pinup posters..

It's weigh in night tonight. I feel like I did really well, which is pretty much the kiss of death. Hell, you would think I would have sweated off five pounds on Saturday alone, but alas, that's probably not the case (sure would be great if it was though).

Finally, if any of you are like me and used to love The State on MTV, this article is for you. For those of you not in the know, members of The State are also some of the powerhouse brains behind Reno 911. Anyway, I've been waiting for a DVD to come out with all their stuff on it, and it looks like the wait might be shorter than initially anticipated. And oh yeah.. HEROES came out on DVD today!!! If only J. had waited a few weeks on that birthday present....

No comments: