Monday, April 02, 2007

Things aren't always what they seem

I watched Babel last night. Everyone I talked to, hated it. I disagree. I thought it was a well made, thought provoking movie and that it flowed relatively well. Granted, I’m not sure about some of the details involved in the scenes with Oscar nominee Rinko Kikuchi, but it was an interesting take on how one event can affect so many lives. I don’t know.. I think it’s worth watching but be prepared: The majority of the movie is subtitled and it’s over two hours long. It reminded me of Traffic, so if you liked that, you might want to give Babel a shot.

Somehow, I’m still in the running for the office Final Four pool, no thanks to Georgetown. If Ohio State wins, it’s all mine. If Florida wins, I come in second. So, basically.. LET’S GO OHIO STATE!!!!!!!! Mama needs $33.75… Then again, I’ll take the $11.25 too.. Either way, I get my money back. I’d just prefer to make more of a profit considering the person who’ll win if it’s not me is an attorney who really doesn’t NEED the money. However, the other paralegal (who all along has found someone else to root for besides me.. always prefacing it with “not that i don’t want you to win, but”) has reasoned that he’ll buy us all lunch if he wins. Yeah.. I’m not doing that.

My Ireland partner in crime is Crystal, who was my “little rugger” in college. She has two kids, one of whom she just had in September (I think). Anyway, I got a random text message from her husband yesterday while I was on my way to Barnes and Noble to buy more books, as 1,000 pages wasn’t enough to satisfy me for the entire trip. The text read as follows: Crystals prego again. I texted him back: Um, I just almost went off the road. 4 Real? It was then I drove past a sign advertising a town breakfast on Sunday, April 1st. Yep.. he got me. I called him back and proceeded to call him every name in the book while he insisted I not let Crystal drink too much. He never lets it go and probably never will. So, as far as I know, Crystal is NOT pregnant and will still be my drinking partner in Ireland. I would have done it by myself if need be, but it’ll be more fun with her there!

I leave for Ireland in five days. I started packing last night, but I’m sure I’ll pack and repack about 14 times before Friday. More than likely, I’ll rip my suitcase apart and start from scratch on Friday morning. Regardless, I will overpack like a mother fucker, cause god forbid I leave anything I MIGHT need at home. My carry on bag is a good size and even with my four books (I bought the book about the Balco steroid scandal.. Game of Shadows, I think it’s called, and I also bought In Cold Blood. Somehow I never read it in high school and Capote is coming up on my netflix), it’s not even close to full. I even thought ahead and threw in a pair of underwear in case my luggage gets lost. Rachael just emailed me a link to the bus tour in London that we can go on. I’m so excited!!! I really can’t even fathom that this time next week I’ll be in Ireland. I plan on taking MILLIONS of pictures so that’ll give you something to look forward to when I’m not here to post. I doubt I’ll be able to post from Ireland, but we’ll see. I make no promises!

Finally, my friend Amy was supposed to visit me this weekend, but she had to take an emergency flight to Indiana to see her ailing grandmother. Considering the family thought it was necessary she be there, I can’t imagine it was a great trip for her. Anyway, best wishes go out to her and her family and I can’t wait to see her later this month at Scorpion Bowl. Because she was unable to come into town, I was able to go to dinner for my friend Shannon’s 31st birthday. We had such a great time. We went to Carabba’s in Latham and we gorged ourselves! I don’t know if I’ve ever been that full in my entire life. I had mozzarella sticks and chicken fettucine alfredo. I know, I’m predictable, but I know what I like!!! We all walked out of there knowing we’d gained at least five pounds. We went to Melino’s afterwards and had a few drinks to celebrate. Shani is a mom so she hasn’t been out in a while, but we got her home before her lips turned numb. It was a blast and reminds me that with everyone getting married and having kids, we don’t get together often enough!

Time for me to do some work today. I’ve avoided it pretty well all morning, but I think they’re catching on! Hope everyone had a good weekend and I’ll do my best to give you some more later.

No comments: