Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oh, the reality of it all..

What a happy night for the fans of reality TV!!! America finally came to their senses and booted Sanjaya from American Idol AND Jael got the heave-ho from America’s Next Top Model. I’ve been waiting for them to oust her for WEEKS, but she hadn’t underperformed as much as the other girls that did leave. This week, the remaining 6 girls learn they’ll be headed to Australia to finish up their time and are given a challenge just minutes off the plane. They have to learn some Aussie slang and use it in their interviews (I've taken that trip, and you don't want to do much but eat and sleep directly off the plane. Granted, they did it straight from LA, but it still couldn't have been easy to concentrate). Dionne didn’t say anything but “that’s cool” (NOT Aussie slang) but most of the girls at least threw "Yank" (American) in there. I wish they'd used some better slang like "budgie smugglers" (that's a speedo on the men, kids) or "root" (slang for banging... NOT cheering on your favorite team). Anyway, the person that did the best job would win a commentator position on the Tyra show. Personally, I thought Renee did the best at putting different words into her interviews and she seemed at home in front of the camera. Jael was a train wreck and made no sense. Natasha did well, but her accent seems to get in the way. I’d say the same thing about Jaslene (which would make sense if she were from a different country.. but she’s not). Brittany was fine, but it didn’t seem like she tried too hard. Anyway, the girls learn they are not doing a photo shoot, but a Cover Girl commercial. However, they need to do it in an Australian accent. Yikes!!! Renee comes out first and does really well in front of the camera. She sounds like the Crocodile Hunter, but at least she tried! Dionne and Jaslene are ok.. but neither sound anything close to Australian. Jael kind of sucks (probably because she has to put together sentences.. with real words..) Natasha does well, especially considering English is her second language, but I’m not sure what kind of accent she’s doing. Then again, it can’t be easy to have a Russian accent and do an Australian one, so I’ll cut her some slack. Brittany totally lost her shit! Apparently she got hit by a car five years ago and got 8 staples in her head, which affects her short term memory. She really let it affect her and even cue cards didn’t help. She and Jael were in the bottom two and considering it was Brittany’s first trip there, you kind of knew it was time for Jael to go. And oh yeah.. Natasha actually won the commentator position on the Tyra show. Go figure.. The episode is kind of boring without a photo shoot and with Renee trying this new ‘be nice to people” thing. I really hope she gets over that. Down to five..

If you read this blog, you must know that I’m a Bravo reality show whore. Top Chef was ok… Top Design didn’t hold my interest but I have found a new love with Shear Design. It’s like crack! I have always had a love/hate (ok hate/hate) relationship with my own hair, so I adore watching other people turn something into nothing. Well, this show totally takes the cake. It’s probably the closest to Project Runway that I’ve seen and it totally works! The judges are equal parts intelligent and snarky… the contestants all think they’re the best at every aspect of hair, which totally kicks ass when they don’t utilize their talents or time to the best of their ability… and it’s only the second episode!!! If you love Project Runway, or love hair, tune in Wednesdays at 10. They’re all divalicious and need to be destroyed, one by one. What's really sad is that I was on the phone with J. last night and had Shear Genius on mute, yet he knew I was watching it. Although.. I think he called it shear queer or something.. I had to correct him.

More to come later… I have a quick O’s recap and some other things to discuss, so I hope to get to it later on today. Enjoy your Thursday!!!!

No comments: