Friday, April 27, 2007

Soapbox of Insensitivity

This afternoon I leave for my annual college rugby reunion. I’m pretty notorious for planning such things, so I sent out an email earlier this week to some of the girls, trying to get 10 of us together to have dinner at one of the local restaurants, as the magic number is 10 for getting a reservation. So, one of my friends called me Tuesday night to let me know she was in AND to let me know that one of our male friends was coming, with another friend and his wife. Well, she wasn’t really letting me know.. no one was. He just said “yeah, I’ll be at the restaurant for dinner.” Nowhere in that sentence does it say he plans on having dinner with us, nor was he technically invited! No one even knows how he knew about dinner, but whatever. Anyway, come to find out, the “friend” he was bringing is his son, who’s about six months old. Did I know he had a son? Nope… so what I’m saying is, why do I want to spend my dinner fawning over a kid I didn’t know existed, when I could be drinking beers and catching up with my girlfriends that I haven’t seen in a while? Well, this probably started World War III and we’ll find out tonight. I was just really irked by the situation. Not because I don’t like kids and I’m not happy for him… I am.. but the next day is when all the games are played, so why can’t he bring the kid to the games where he’ll get to show the kid off, instead of bringing his baby… to a bar? I don’t know. Maybe it’s insensitive of me, but I don’t want to spend my dinner with the sound of a six month old bawling it’s brains out while I’m trying to have a good time and conversation. Another friend of mine has two kids and I’m sure she’ll enjoy having some time away, instead of listening to someone else’s child at dinner. This is the only time I have to catch up with the girls and I’m just a little peeved by the fact that he thinks he can crash the party, if that’s even the case.. We really don’t know the details so maybe I’m jumping to conclusions. However, I did make the reservations for 10 people and that’s all that I expect to come to dinner. I don’t care if he brings the baby over and visits, but dinner is not on the menu.. at least not with our crew. I really hate it when a plan doesn’t come to fruition, can you tell? My friend Eryn understood where I was coming from, which was nice, but then she spent the day after I told her the situation basically patronizing me about it. I really think I’m getting too old for this shit. Pictures and details to come, as I somehow managed to fit my camera and way too many clothes in my overnight bag.

No comments: