Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Too much work makes me a cranky girl

It’s insanely busy at work so I’m trying to give you as much as I can in the limited time I do have. I was here till 7 pm last night and it looks to be an even later one tonight so if anyone wants to bring me dinner.. feel free.. Anyway, here’s what’s going on in my world:

The O’s signed free agent OF Jay Payton, formerly of the Oakland A’s. He’s a good hitter, and a good outfielder and could be exactly what we need to fill that void. No matter what, he’s better than what we’ve got and that, my friends, is a step in the right direction.

NYC was a blast on Saturday. The train ride down was a little crowded, but it was a great day. We walked from Grand Central to FAO Schwartz and wandered around there for a little while. Then we took the subway down to Canal Street. It was my first time on the NYC Subway (I’ve taken the “T” in Boston plenty of times) and it was not as scary and dirty as it’s made out to be. I will definitely take it the next time I’m in town! Anyway, the girls bought some “hot” purses on Canal Street and we had a kick ass late lunch in Little Italy. It was very festive and there were TONS of people out and about. Next stop was for cannolis (I got a black and white cookie instead - Thanks Tre) and then we ventured back to the subway to make it to Rockefeller Center, as some of my friends had never seen the tree and skating rink. THAT was a madhouse, but it was really pretty. The tree actually came from a tree farm in Clermont, not far from where we live so we were all kind of intrigued by the tree. Everyone was pretty beat so it was time to catch the train back to Poughkeepsie. It was a great time and hopefully we’ll go again when the weather is a little more conducive to being outside!

Sunday I wrote out my Christmas cards (well, most of them) and watched The Big Lebowski.. FINALLY! I can’t say I didn’t like it… I just don’t think I was paying enough attention. My friend Tara came by with her son Brady in the middle of it, so I think I was just too distracted for the whole thing. But (to appease Sandra) I LOVED “the dude.” The movie was pretty interesting.. I mean, look at where a case of mistaken identity and revenge can get you! And hey.. there was bowling in it. I am such a fan of Steve Buscemi and it cracked me up that no matter how much he tried to be involved, John Goodman would never let him. The scenes between those three were always comical. So… on second thought, I did like it… just think I need to watch it again.

I also saw the Denzel Washington movie “Déjà vu” on Sunday night. I thought it was a really good movie, even if the premise isn’t necessarily completely viable. The trailer doesn’t really give a good indication of what the movie is about so I suggest seeing it to form your own opinion. I mean.. it’s Denzel! Yet another movie where I didn’t realize how much time had gone by. Always a plus.

Completely unintentionally, I caught the series premiere of this new show on MTV called “Twentyfourseven.” It’s basically Entourage, but with more guys. I had no intentions of watching it, but got sucked in. The group of guys include a record producer, club promoter, lead singers of bands, and other such Hollywood types. Anyway, there is a set of brothers.. one seems to be a promoter of some sort, the other lead singer of a band called The Prom Kings. Brother One has brother two set up to play at his club opening and two days prior, brother two goes home to (I think) Arkansas for a visit… and never shows up for the gig.. forcing the brother to put their other buddy’s band on in his place.. (the guy who fronts the band is called Cipes and he’s the most irritating, crunchy guy you’ll ever meet - yet I remember his name and am calling the main characters Brother One and Brother Two.. go figure). Brother one then gets a phone call from Brother Two… from jail in Arkansas.. now THAT’S good TV! Entourage is on hiatus and MTV will probably play it 14 times a day so you might as well check it out.

In pseudo celebrity news, Elliot Yamin (of American Idol fame) was gifted a new $50,000 smile from a dentist in California. If you can remember, the boy could sing like nobody’s business, but his teeth were… well.. snaggly to say the least. Anyway, he looks fabulous now and rumor is that his new veneers might help him sing better, although I’m not sure how (and as if he needs help). Nicole Ritchie was popped for DUI in the early morning hours of December 11th, going the wrong way on the freeway. Apparently she was totally out of it and admitted to smoking pot and taking a vicodin. Should she be doing any sort of drugs (prescription or otherwise) after the whole heroin addiction thing? I mean… come on! Her mug shot was certainly no Nick Nolte, but she’s definitely looked better! Then again, it’s a mug shot.. who hasn’t looked better?

Things are insanely slow right now, which will irritate me since it won’t get busy till… 5 or so. I have a feeling I won’t get out of here anytime before 10.. I already asked J. to leave the door open for me so I could just crash when I get home. At least the firm pays for dinner, so they tell me. Anyway, I’ll try to update more later if I can and I apologize for the lack of pictures. If not, remember.. tomorrow is hump day. Act accordingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara,

You've got Cipes completely wrong. Keep watching twentyfourseven and you'll fall in love with him.

MTV dude