Friday, May 25, 2007

There's nothing left for me to do but DANCE!

I skipped dance class last night, but it still ended up being a night chock full of it. Go figure.

So You Think You Can Dance opened its season on Fox with their New York City auditions. I admit, I didn’t get into this show until the end last year, mainly because I’d invested so much time in American Idol that I just couldn’t commit to something that big. However, I was home and I had seen everything else on, so I decided to tune in. I even managed to suck my sister and Danny in, which is a feat in itself. I can tell I’m going to be totally into it, so now at least I have something to blog about. There was this one girl named Hannah-Lee. She was very talented and made it to the round in Las Vegas. The thing about her was that she was involved in this tragic accident in Israel in 2001, when a dance floor in a banquet hall fell three stories with people dancing on top of it. I remember seeing the footage years ago, but it was still just as crazy seeing it again. No one knew if she would live or be able to dance again, yet here she is. I admit, I liked her, along with a dance teacher and her student who got through to the next round. My big peeve with these shows is why people waste their time and their dignity auditioning when it’s blatantly obvious they have no talent. Judge Nigel Lythgoe literally got into a fight with this one guy’s mother, when he basically told him he would never have a dancing career. This guy is 33 years old and his self proclaimed nickname is "Sex." Considering he looks more like Weird Al than Brad Pitt, I’d be shocked if he was actually getting some. Anyway, he auditioned for the second year in a row and Nigel told him never to come back. You almost feel bad because the judges can be really mean, but when you think about it, a reality check is exactly what these people need! Anyway, there were quite a few good dancers, and quite a few who thought they were good, only to be told otherwise. I can’t wait till the next episode!

After that, I was flipping through the channels and found the movie "Take the Lead" was playing on HBO. This is the one where Antonio Banderas teaches inner city kids how to ballroom dance. I had missed the first half hour, but I sat down and watched the rest of it and it was a pretty good movie. I’ve had it on my Netflix for quite some time, and now I can take it off. If I know HBO I won’t have any trouble catching the first half hour in the near future. I had forgotten that YaYa DaCosta from America’s Next Top Model was in the movie. She had a pretty decent attitude on the show so I’m not sure if she was really acting or what, but she did a decent job. It was a good time waster, even though it forced me to stay up and watch it to the end, headache and all.

Hope everyone enjoys the time off on their holiday weekend. Have a great one and I’ll catch ya soon!

No comments: