Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Burning Down the House

Once again, I tried to cook. My friend Rachael had given me what seemed to be an easy recipe for chicken parmesan, which is one of J’s favorite meals (or so I assume as he orders it whenever we go out for Italian food). I stopped off at the store to get sauce and cheese, and then thought “What goes great with chicken parm? Garlic bread of course!” So, I picked up a loaf of garlic bread too, and I was really looking forward to it, as garlic bread is one of my favorite reasons to eat Italian. So, as I was just starting to cook the chicken parm, J. comes over and basically watches me do everything. He cooks pretty well and has done so all his life, so he was constantly correcting (or as he says “helping”) me. I know he meant well, but I got kind of irritated because he just kept saying that he didn’t make it like I make it. So then I was starting to get nervous that it wouldn’t come out right and I hovered over the stove (after being pelted with really hot sauce when I turned it on high to heat it up instead of simmer - so yes.. sometimes he’s right). The chicken came out really good and I even did well with the spaghetti (my first time). As everything was cooling down I put the oven on broiler so the garlic bread would cook. I ran into the other room to watch Jeopardy (College edition) and when I went back in to check on the garlic break I was greeted with a puff of smoke upon opening the oven. Yep… charred beyond recognition. There was NO saving that bread. I was so disappointed, because as I said, REALLY looking forward to it. J. was pretty good about taking it out and throwing it behind the house for the birds (so it wouldn’t go to waste) but started laughing the minute he got in the house because he couldn’t believe that I did so well with everything but fucked up the easiest part of the meal. He tried to console me a little, but the hearty laughs in between made me think he wasn’t really sincere about it. Regardless, the meal was very good and I was pretty full after only one helping. He, of course, was not and managed to chow down on whatever was left. No leftovers with this guy, that’s for sure. Anyway, we watched NCIS and House, then channel surfed until we crashed. I’m telling you, it’s a good thing we’re not famous because we could never sustain the lifestyle. But I’d take the money cause I could use a new pair of shoes…

To quote Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey in “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days”, “bullshit!” That’s how I feel about last night’s ousting on Dancing with the Stars. The bottom two consisted of John/Edyta and Billy Ray/Karina. I LOATHE Karina Smirnoff. I just think she’s a bratty diva and anytime she talks it reminds me of nails on a chalkboard. Anyway, you knew these two were going to be in the bottom, it was just a matter of who was going home. Well, as you can guess from my tone, Billy Ray and Karina get to stay another week! What the hell? I mean, I’m not saying John and Edyta were the best but they weren’t as bad as Billy Ray and Karina. What I like is that Billy Ray knows he sucks and I’m sure he anticipated going home because he’s not an idiot (well, kind of)! He looked petrified to have to learn two new dances, as he should be. Next week will be interesting to see who makes it into the bottom two with him. My guess is Ian.

It’s a tad boring here at work so I’ll try to come up with some more to post later. What can I say? I’m tying up loose ends which isn’t taking me as long as anticipated, and no one is giving me new work so I’m at a loss. I guess that just makes you all the lucky ones. Happy Hump Day!!

No comments: