Monday, March 24, 2008

One Week Till Opening Day

and in honor of that, I have this story to tell:

My friend Tim is a morning drive DJ for a country station in South Florida. Well, as we all know, Florida is one of the "places to be" for Spring Training. Through his job, Tim has met many people, most of them people I've wanted to meet my whole life that he meets first. Don't worry.. I'm not bitter.. Anyway, on Friday he was able to go to the Orioles spring training game against the Cardinals. After countless phone calls and text messages, I was able to relay to him the O's whose autograph(s) I would really appreciate. He was down by the dugout and Kevin Millar is on double deck. When he gets on deck, Tim asks him for his autograph to which Kevin replies "I'll get you when I come back." Sweet, right? That's what Tim thought.. until Millar got up to bat and was subsequently drilled on the fingers. Needless to say, he didn't come back to give Tim that autograph, as he was grimacing in pain and taken away to the locker room. Tim sat there like a dejected child, (I'm imagining) ball in one hand, pen in the other. It was a story that could only happen to him! Still, the O's play there again on Wednesday, so he's assured me he'd get there early and wouldn't let anyone get away from him! I wish him lots of luck and thank him plenty.. And oh yeah.. Millar is fine, so Tim better REMIND him of his promise of an autograph... and not take "no" for an answer!

No comments: