Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sometimes I realize it's not a bad thing to live in a small town.... Case in point: J and I went to see The Dark Knight at the new Colonie Center Regal Cinemas last night. We got there around 6:45 and the 7:00 and 7:30 shows were sold out, leaving us to catch the 8:00 show. The tickets are $10 per person (how do parents take their kids to the movies these days?) and thankfully, with my Regal Crown Club Card, I managed to get a free small soda and small popcorn. I upgraded to medium size for only $.50 each. THAT was the high point. We had some time to kill, so we ventured on over to FYE where I purchased Kathy Griffin: For Your Consideration and J picked out a few comedy CDs and lord knows what crappy horror movie he could get for crazy cheap. Anyway, around 7:20 I thought it'd be a good idea to get back to the theater so we could get good seats. BIG mistake. We walked in and the theater was already jammed, with no seats on the good viewing level (ya know.. EYE level), so we ended up having to sit about four rows back in front of the biggest movie screen I've ever seen. If my eyes didn't hate me yesterday, today I'm pretty much the Devil. Luckily, the lower level seats are also on an incline so it could have been way worse. That, and the 8:00 show was also sold out (so the movie gods said) and asked everyone to smush into the center. No one really did and it worked out just fine, so sold out must not mean the same to them as it does to me.

Let's get to the good part: BATMAN! I have to say, I really enjoyed the movie. The effects are awesome and the plot takes more from the graphic novel than the old school Batman comics. We even got to see a trailer for the new movie, Watchmen, coming out in March. I'm not a big fan of the graphic novels, but this looked interesting. I have PLENTY of time to read it before it comes out, so I'm not concerned. Anyway, let's talk about Heath Ledger. I was determined not to like his portrayal of the Joker, just because I'm so sick of all the posthumous Oscar talk. I mean, if he were alive would there be all this hype!? We'll never know. Still, I have to admit he was really great. I mean.. I've heard he really immersed himself into the role, but he changed every single thing about himself for it. Let's just say, he sure as hell could have had a worse swan song! There's lots of carnage and twists and turns along the way, but it never once feels like you've been sitting in a movie theater for two and a half hours. Thank you Christopher Nolan for once again proving Batman can be more than a hot guy in a suit with nipples on it. And thank you Christian Bale, for being the hot guy in the nippleless suit... Grrrr.. Now you all know how much I loved Dawson's Creek, but Maggie Gyllenhaal was a far more believable Rachel than Katie Holmes. I don't know if it's just the look, but I believed her in the role a lot more. Very strange, but good!

In other news, Brett Favre is a moron...

One week in and they're already doing the dirty on Big Brother... (I know it says Ollie and ALLISON are doing it, but it's April.) Why do people insist on having sex on national television. You're on a show where there are cameras everywhere and you think you're stealth enough to have sex with no one seeing it? Oh, the preacher and his wife are NOT going to be thrilled with their son, that's for sure!

My eyes hurt... hump away the rest of your day and get ready for the gay trifecta of reality tv: So You Think You Can Dance, Project Runway and Shear Genius... and oh yeah.. someone gets booted from Big Brother tonight. Have a good one!

No comments: