Sunday, December 16, 2007

Speculation

That is basically the gist behind the Mitchell Report. I mean, the majority of what is revealed is that athletes used steroids before they were considered illegal. Wow... shocker. My baby, Brian Roberts has been implicated in the Mitchell Report and here's what it said:

Bigbie recalled meeting Kirk Radomski in 2003 during a trip to New York. Segui introduced Bigbie and Brian Roberts to Radomski over lunch. Afterward, Segui made a steroid purchase from Radomski from inside Radomski’s car, which, according to Bigbie, was heavily stocked with performance enhancing substances and paraphernalia. Roberts was not present.

Brian Roberts is an infielder who has played for the Baltimore Orioles since 2001. He has been selected to two All-Star teams.
Roberts and Larry Bigbie were both rookies in 2001. According to Bigbie, both he and Roberts lived in Segui’s house in the Baltimore area during the latter part of that season. When Bigbie and Segui used steroids in the house, Roberts did not participate.
According to Bigbie, however, in 2004 Roberts admitted to him that he had injected himself once or twice with steroids in 2003. Until this admission, Bigbie had never suspected Roberts of using steroids.
In order to provide Roberts with information about these allegations and to give him an opportunity to respond, I asked him to meet with me; he declined.


That's all it says about him. I mean, is that sufficient evidence? I think not.. and I'm honestly not just saying it because it's Brian Roberts. I think the whole Andy Pettite-Roger Clemens thing is kind of bullshit too. I mean, Pettite admitted to doing it to heal quicker, not to give him an edge, and it wasn't when the drugs were considered illegal by MLB. I just really hope that MLB doesn't penalize these people for past dalliances. I mean, if the drugs weren't considered illegal, how can you harm them for it!? If a player gets caught now (Jay Gibbons, I'm speaking to you) they deserve everything they get, as it's been made quite obvious what drugs are legal and what drugs are illegal AND it's no secret that everyone involved in MLB is going to get drug tested. If you get caught, you're an idiot. Don't get me wrong, I didn't read the whole report (it WAS 409 pages long, give me a break) but it seems that little information we didn't expect was found. Basically, it's just given a lot of people bad reputations they may not quite deserve.

No comments: