Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Does this fact disturb anyone but me?

October 8th is both Clergy Appreciation Day and National Children’s Day. I know there has to be a joke there but all I can think is “that’s just wrong.”

I got my first Netflix movies yesterday and they are as follows: The Notebook, Donnie Darko and Spaceballs. Yep, something for everyone. I’ve never seen Spaceballs and when J. found this out I really thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head. Therefore, I hightailed it to No. 1 on my queue and we’re going to watch it tonight. I have a feeling he’s going to irritate me with his incessant quoting (he’s already warned me so I know it’s coming), much like CJ sang through Rent. (Yes CJ, you sang through Rent no matter how many times you deny it. I can track down the poor unsuspecting victims that sat in front of us so don’t even try it.) He has yet to see Swingers so I’m sure I’ll quote the hell out of it and we’ll be even. As for Donnie Darko, I’ve heard it’s a tad disturbing and I really don’t know what it’s about off the top of my head. I know I’ve read a synopsis and it interested me so I guess that’ll be review for another day. We all know what a chick flick person I am (and thanks to Lynn for almost always being my partner in crime for them) but somehow The Notebook slipped by me. Maybe because it’s a bit of a period piece. I like my movies in modern day. That’s really my only quirk. Something has to look really phenomenal for me to see it if it takes place in a different era. But I’ve heard nothing but wonderful things about this movie and I really like Rachel McAdams so I’m willing to give it a shot. Once I send these back I believe I’ll be getting the first season of Rescue Me. Speaking of which….

Interesting finale last night. I’m not really sure what to think. I mean, I’m glad that Probie’s straight (and the camera angle when he had his “revelation” was priceless) and that no one is leaving the firehouse but the ending… a fire? They’re most certainly not going to kill off Tommy (although it has been said that sometimes the dead have bigger parts than the living on that show) and it would be too easy to kill off crazy Sheila. With Johnny AND Sheila gone, Tommy can run back to Janet and raise his baby (hopefully a boy). I don’t think everything will be wrapped up with a nice little bow. I’m guessing Sheila’s going to get hurt and she’ll guilt trip Tommy because she went back into the house to save him. Just a guess. I won’t say I’m disappointed in the show, I just expected more.

Georgia beat Japan in the Little League World Series, making it the second consecutive year an American team has won. I’ll be honest, I saw Japan play and I never thought anyone had a chance to beat them. A two run home run by Cody Walker was all they needed to win 2-1. I’ve read some other posts about how people think ESPN is basically whoring out these kids and that there should be other things on TV but I think it’s great. I mean, most of these kids (no matter how good they are now) are probably never going to get the opportunity to play baseball on TV again for one reason or another and for two weeks, they’re stars. Think of all the people who didn’t know who Aaron Durley was before this started. I would have killed to have that kind of experience when I was a kid. I’m already planning a road trip to Williamsport for next year, to come after my road trip to Cooperstown for Cal’s induction. Guess I better save up my vacation days!

Last night my sister, my friend Lynn and I went to see Little Miss Sunshine. Again, it was bargain night and it was pretty packed for a Tuesday. Anyway, the movie started out a little slow but it became increasingly hysterical. Was it believable that so many bad things happened to one family on a road trip? In any normal situation, no. But for these charcaters it made perfect sense. I highly recommend it based only on the sheer hilarity of the actual Little Miss Sunshine pageant. It’s pee your pants funny! Ok, I kind of have a weak bladder so maybe that’s not the best description, but if you don’t laugh your ass off you are a sad, sad little person. While I am a huge fan of the The Office (just got the first season on DVD for $23.00), I’m really not a huge Steve Carell fan. However, he was really good in this role. He was sad, yet funny. I might like him, 40 Year Old Virgin be damned! I did see that movie, but fell asleep. I’m wondering if it’s going to be like Anchorman, where I have to watch it over and over again until I realize how funny it is. Greg Kinnear’s character is completely unlikable, but he brings it home in the end. I really think the best role in the whole movie was the mute son, Dwayne. SPOILER ALERT: he took a vow of silence until he can get into flight school (it’s been about nine months) but during the movie he finds out that he’s colorblind and will never be able to fly jets. It was funnier when he was writing things down on a notepad instead of talking, but it was still an entertaining role.

Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. My computer at home has been screwing with me so I’ve been doing my posts at work where I hardly have any pictures saved. My friend Eryn has been up my ass to do a post on 80’s toys so I guess that’s gonna be in the works. I think that’s something I need to do a little research on instead of just putting it together halfassed. However, she sent me this link that was pretty funny so I’ll share it with all of you as a precursor to that inevitable post. Happy Hump Day to all and have a great night! I’m off to Bombers Burrito Bar for a triple date and then Spaceballs!!! I know.. you all wish you were me.

No comments: