Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grease at Proctor's

Dear Girl and Mom Sitting Behind Me:

SHUT UP :)

Seriously.. EVERYONE knows every single song from Grease. It's been around for over 30 years and then some. MILLIONS of actors have played the roles on screen and on and off Broadway. Regardless, no one paid money to hear you sing, so how about you open up a big can of "shut the fuck up" and let the pros do their job?" Thanks.. you're a doll.

Kara

As for my half-assed review, the show was pretty good! The Vince Fontaine warm up was pretty funny, especially when he asked where people were from and someone shouted out Climax, which led into a joke throughout his opening AND showed up in the show (Yes, those not from this area, Climax is a real city in Greene County and my friends giggled like fiends when we drove through it on our way to a wedding). If it WAS staged, you'd never know it, cause this guy looked genuinely surprised by it. The show had not one, but two American Idol alums in the midst. Ace Young played Danny and while his accent left little to be desired, his acting chops, dancing ability and vocals were definitely good enough. He still looks pretty damn good too, even with those ridiculous pompadours!

The show was advertised heavily as "starring Taylor Hicks," but he only played Teen Angel, surfacing for one number, which he performed just fine. Like Ace, the vocals were strong... thank God. The dancing, was another story! As anyone that watched Idol knows, Hicks was basically told NOT to dance, his movements being a bit... herky-jerky, for lack of a better term. He proved that again last night. He was certainly entertaining, just a bit too campy and over the top for my taste. Maybe it's cause I'm a Daughtry fan, I don't know! During his "Beauty School Dropout" number (where he descended from the sky, of course), Frenchie was all up in his business and at one point, looked him in the eye and said "I voted for you." I have no idea how she or he kept a straight face, but the audience loved it. Anyway, the audience stuck around after the show to hear him sing a song from his new CD, which was quite good! It was more of the soul based stuff we're used to hearing from him, and he was already out signing autographs when we got out of the theater.

All in all, great job by the actors! One in particular (Rump!?) had an amazing voice! He was a touch chubby and I have to say, I just didn't expect such a voice to fall out of his mouth considering I thought he was simply there for comic relief. I stand corrected. I adore Proctor's, and now I'm just going to wallow in the fact that Spring Awakening is coming the ONLY week I've gone away in like.. years.. Bitter.. party of one!

No comments: