Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Talk about birth control!

So, this little gem is from my daily "fact or crap" calendar:

The genitals of the drone honey bee explode and snap off inside the queen bee during mating."

Anyone? Bueller?

Here's your answer: It is a FACT! The snapped-off penis acts as a genital plug to prevent other drones from fertilizing the queen.

I'm thinking that if I were a male drone honey bee, that's a chance I might not want to take... I wouldn't want anything that explodes or snaps off to be anywhere near my "wobbly bits," know what I'm saying?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

My presumption is that the male bees risk it because they are not in any way forewarned of this eventuality. It is abominable how very few honeybee tax dollars are allocated to sex education. And very few honeybees are fortunate enough to have Fact or Crap desk calendars. And so, dude is just tapping that queen and all of a sudden: "OMFG FOR THE LOVE OF CLOVER WHAT THE F*CK JUST HAPPENED TO MY BEEPENIS?"